Sunday, December 20, 2015

P-trap saga

I slept pretty well last night, happy about that. 

I got up early, did my God Time, took my shower.  For me, when I'm depressed taking my shower is the hardest thing ever. 

I had a pretty nasty headache so I couldn't take my morning meds, I would have vomited.  I wrote a few chapters in "Broken" if you are reading it (serial online romance). 

I cleaned out under and above the bathroom sink so the plumber would have room to work. 

The plumber came.  He was very nice.  He spent a fair amount of time under there, only to tell me the P-trap had been glued into place (not appropriate plumbing) and had to be completely removed.  Had it been done properly, he would have just unscrewed it.  Glued into place, it will have to be cut out and replaced.   That will cost us, minimum, another $300. 

Not Happy about that.  I don't blame the plumber, but the flipper who had the house before us and the truly incompetent and/or bribed home inspector who examined our house prior to purchase.  He said the plumbing was fine.  It was not.  It had electrical issues, which we fixed.  It had structural issues in the bathroom, which we fixed.  The roofing was bad.  We fixed that. 

Anyway, a lot of fixing, that I feel should have been prevented.  I believe our agent paid him off to do a "good" inspection.  I know for a fact she was not moral; she tried to get us to buy the house, then turn around and rent it to the sellers at our cost.  Who does that?  No one!  She was very upset when we told her no.  I was told by another agent that was completely unethical, and she never should have considered it. 

He did get the stopper out.  There is a very slow leak in the drain pipe, but I fixed that with a bucket.  That should hold us for a while now. 

Now I need to go through everything formerly under the sink, and determine what I can keep.  I don't think I need everything I currently have. 

But that will take a while and a trash can and a fair amount of work.  Did I mention I'm depressed? 

Still trying to make a good day of it anyway.  I got a decent nap when the plumber left.  Since the sink faucet is very old, we will probably just swap out the whole sink.  That way we have all new everything in there and minimal drama.  The "bandaid" approach will just result in another repair shortly. 

Hate to think how much that would cost.  Ron asked me if I wanted [something "nice"] for Christmas, I guess that will be a new bathroom sink.  I use it a lot for handwashing, personal care, etc.  It's a good investment. 

But if we ever end up in an apartment I won't complain about rent increases.  Yes, the mortgage stays the same, but repairs will certainly eat into the budget! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

home repairs never end and just when you think things are ok? they are not and you need to fix something else…about ten more years and we are moving to an apparent for sure.
Happy Christmas Heather I am getting a kitchen sink for Christmas we are twins!