Saturday, December 12, 2015

"Assistant"

I don't want to be --- First, an adjustment to make for easier typing on the keyboard.  It tends to rattle when I really get going and I don't want to wake Ron. 

#6 is like a shaken up soda.  For much of the time, they are very quiet, with some exceptions.  Then, on party night, they erupt into barrio-style low-class behavior. 

I have been told, repeatedly, any kind of party, even a "child's birthday", that is held late at night, with drinking, is really just an adult drinking party.  That's what we had last night.  I think it was Christmas related. 

Their guests seemed even more trashy than usual, shouting, screaming, tackling each other into my siding and using it to rebound soccer balls towards the goal.  They forget that is someone's home.  They don't apparently care that it is someone else's property.  And people are trying to sleep, on the other side of the wall. 

Now, if this were happening at 1-3 PM, I would try to be understanding and ignore it.  In my perfect world, I get a nap every day (I did eke out a little sleep yesterday afternoon).  I would wish they weren't doing their best to wreck my siding, but I would try to empathize. 

People have a right to their celebrations.  However, when I can hear bodies crashing into my siding, people grunting as I lay in bed, and loud crashes as the ball rebounds off the siding, at 10 PM - when they lose the ball at 9:40, my lights are out, and they try to ring the doorbell to get it back - that's a problem.  I have never been so happy I unplugged the doorbell.  It wasn't truly quiet until after midnight. 

One of the women across the street told me she liked us, because we are quiet, "Unlike that trash.", with a pointed look at #6.  Do they really want to be the neighbor everyone hates?  I suppose.  No one else in the neighborhood has these kinds of parties.  They want the "Classy" neighborhood, but they want to act barrio.  (A barrio is a Spanish ghetto full of the ignorant)

Now, I'm not blameless.  I'm the one that probably needs a mow, or at this point, my leaves raked.  My house is a lurid orange color.  For a while, we couldn't afford minor cosmetic repairs.  We had a few issues.  But we're quiet.  The only time we're not, paratransit is backing up in the street, or honking in our driveway (we have a request in our notes for them not to do either).  We can't help paratransit. 

Ron called the police, twice, especially after they came banging on the door, and then tried to climb the back fence to get the ball.  Apparently they were too drunk because I found a ball in the yard this morning - which I returned over the fence, quietly. 

Around 11, Ron, in desperation, went out on his own.  I told him not to bother, because I didn't think it would work to appeal to his heart, or decency. 

I was wrong.  "He was very drunk" Ron told me "And I would know.  I told him I was sorry, several times, in Spanish.  I told him I needed to go to work tomorrow, could they please be quiet and let us sleep."  They shut it down after that. 

Pretty much. 

Of course, as happens during his parties, he went around for an hour after the party picking up and throwing glass bottles into the recycle can, making a tremendous racket. 

I wonder how long they would have gone, otherwise, if Ron hadn't gone over? 

I was pretty worried Ron would go in confrontational, especially given some of the things he was saying at home, but "I asked God to lead me and He did." 

I just asked God to please protect my siding, and to please give us a decent quality of sleep since we weren't going to get the duration.  Ideally I would have prayed for the revelers. 

Since they have been waking me up or keeping me up, various nights this week, I think I'm a little manic.  I woke up after 4 hours, and went back to sleep for a couple more.  I had a good cuddle with Biscuit, most of the night. 

I worried about the cats, though, going in and out of the cat door during all this mayhem.  I was worried they might get kicked if they went next door, or hit with a ball. 

I decided that Baby Ruth should make a nougat and caramel only bar, and thanked God I didn't have a headache.  When I got home, I was exhausted and needing something solid to eat.  I was delighted to find the single-serving cheesecake in the fridge, waiting. 

I got up, fed Biscuit, did my God Time (!) - I had resolved, since this all sure felt like a spiritual attack, to do that at least, and then took my shower.  I am in the midst of my cycle and day two is always pretty gory. 

We went to work.  The other vendor's guy was there, and his carts cluttered up the work area.  Frustrating. 

I did snacks, which have been doing some business but not wiped out.  Someone yelled at me; we "didn't have any sandwiches" - but I counted 14.  I love it when people try to tell me how to do my job.  I even had to throw four out, that had gone out of code and expired - because no one bought them.  They were still good yesterday, when she claimed "Everyone was looking for sandwiches".  I guess it offended her the machine wasn't stuffed with product. 

Well, they didn't even buy 14 - I'm certainly not putting out dozens.  She was also latino and I couldn't help but think she would have loved the party next door. 

Anyway, I stocked my remainder, Saturday night and Sunday night are my big sellers.  I put out some other food items, too.  I helped Ron. 

Ron and I were talking about social security.  Ron "can" only work as long as he proves he can't do "substantial gainful activity". 

Here's a good example: I do an inventory.  Ron calls in the order.  I check it in and pay the man.  I stack up the order in sequence.  I help Ron get the sodas.  I identify the sodas in the machine as he calls out.  I remind him of the soda sequence in his lap.  I help if he drops them.  You get the idea.  That's just canned soda.   I also get the accountability readings and such. 

My job is more "Personal Assistant/Assistant manager".  Mostly just "assistant".  I have my own work: snacks and food.  But I do alright on my own with that.   However, not much happens without me, which is glad I only sprained a finger instead of breaking a foot. 

We finished it all and went out, to find out driver waiting for us.  Awesome. 

We got home and they were gone, next door.  I gobbled my cheesecake, took my pills, and grabbed a nap.  #8 decided to play some music while they worked on the car, so I had that, and #6 was really loud coming home, but I did get a couple hours total. 

My hand has been fine throughout this so I think it's on the mend.  I do plan to wear my splint at work. 

No comments: