Sunday, May 13, 2012

Witch Doctor

Whenever Ron gets sick, he asks me for help.  "Heather," he says "You're my witch doctor.  What do I need?"  I assess his symptoms and hook him up with various supplements and over the counter remedies.

I worked at a Target many years ago, as a cashier.  I enjoyed the work.  I'm very extroverted and enjoyed chatting with the customers about their purchases.

It used to annoy me to no end, when a sick person would come through my lane, coughing and sneezing all over me.  Then, I'd get sick.

I always thought "Why don't they buy the cold and flu remedy before they get sick?  Then they can just get it out of the medicine chest when they need it, without making the cashier sick.

Not to mention, in MY case I would be exposing other public transit passengers, and the driver, to whatever "cootie" I'd caught.  I don't want to get people sick.  

A little known fact:  I seldom get a cold or flu, generally it's a matter of years.  That's wonderful.

It's also slightly frustrating.  I went through my "Cold Box".  I have a plastic box with various cold and flu remedies, cough drops, etc.  Nearly all of them had decongestant!

I CANNOT take decongestants.  Why?

Do not take decongestants (eg, pseudoephedrine), stimulants, or diet pills while you are taking Wellbutrin without first checking with your doctor. They may increase your risk of seizures.
Read more at http://www.drugs.com/cdi/wellbutrin.html#J9bYUEiBfqbIWMdw.99



That would suck.  Just imagine it, I get the nighttime syrup we all know.  Chug a dose.  OOOPS!  


Happily, I also have single drugs in my arsenal: antihistamines (I'm at that itchy, runny, sneezy stage), and then plain old guiafenesen for the congestion that's coming in a  few days.  Besides, decongestants make me manic, and not in a good way.  


So, I tried to pretend I was not sick, it was some dear loved one.  What would I do for them?  I have no appetite, so I just had some high-fiber toast and veggie soup (that's my comfort food when sick, veggie soup) for dinner.  I had to eat, to take my mood pills.  


I took what I feel are the appropriate herbals.  Ones that do not interact.  I can't say what they are.  The FDA has a rule: Diagnose, cure, prevent, or treat.  You can NEVER use those words with regard to a supplement.  


Remember the Sea Silver people?  That's what got them.  They used the forbidden words for marketing.  


Oh, Allen.  I was kind of irritable.  Ron ran off and hid in the man cave.  I'll try to get him to do a video blog tomorrow.  

No comments: