Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mexican Mother's Day

My last, text, post was pretty grim; but I try to keep it real.

Hard to deal with mother issues, at mother's day, etc.  Today, did you know, is Mexican Mother's Day?

No, it's not the start of a racist joke.  It really is Mother's Day, in Mexico, today.  The waitress at our favorite taqueria wished me a good one and gave me a hug.   Then, paratransit left us stranded there for 2 hours, waiting on our pickup.

I was glad we hadn't planned anything else!  I was also glad I'd taken that lithium with my lunch.

Speaking of, I still need to get on the blood test lab and ride them about results.  I also need to (pray for me, please) call tech support because my modem isn't working very well.  Well, at this moment it is... ha ha.  So, I need to find out what kind of setting I need to do, lots of horrible talking over the phone (the customer service techs don't understand audio processing disorder).  [Shudder]  It's almost enough to make me wish I did take anti-anxiety drugs.

I hate dealing with customer service over the phone.  I may recruit Ron to help.

We've been seeing a lot of political stuff lately.  Pretty safe to say I'm conservative, but that doesn't mean I rubber-stamp.

I once voted Democrat, against a judge who'd let a baby-raper out on bail.  I also vote "against" one candidate, because I find them to be an embarrassment.  As a rule, though, I'm conservative.

I do believe a woman has a right to abortion.  Why?  Well, a mother with an unwanted pregnancy is not going to turn around and start taking prenatal vitamins, doing yoga, and eating organic.  No, she will continue to abuse her body and the baby, creating a special needs nightmare.  Very few people are willing to adopt a special-needs baby, so the kid ends up in the system.

A baby with just Fetal Alcohol Syndrome can cost society up to a million dollars, each.  You can do the math.  I also believe a woman who really wants an abortion will get one by any means necessary, and it's important to do it in a hygienic and safe manner.

Yes, it's murder.  No one sin is worse than any other, I believe.  Have I ever had an abortion?  No.  I believe a few people I know, have had them.  One told me how she got all the way into the clinic before changing her mind.

Now, there's a question.  Say I got raped tonight.  Would I have an abortion?  Oh, that would be tough.

First, I am not mother material.  I can get very "sick" when I'm constantly sleep deprived.  I lack patience, I feel.

Secondly, I take some harsh stuff.  All 3 of my medications cause birth defects.  Serious ones, like heart  trouble, and God only knows what they do to the poor fetal brain.

I guess this is what I'd do.  I tend to sit around thinking about worst-case scenarios, a lot of the time, and I've actually considered this.

First, I'd take the morning after pill.  I don't see a problem, there.

If I did become pregnant, I'd pray on it and seek some counsel.  I would also do serious research on just what birth defects run along with my medication.   I am a bit foggy on that.  I can tell you all about my seizure risk, why I need to avoid decongestants, and all, but I'm clueless about the actual defects.

Thirdly, if the birth defects appeared mild I'd seek an adoptive couple.  Who would want a special needs child, most likely to become bipolar?  Well, I'm sure they exist.  I wouldn't want the kid going to one of those very large families of adopted special needs children.  They'd get lost in the shuffle.   I'd want a small, loving family.  One that wouldn't freak if the kid came out looking spooky.  I'd probably need to add "good medical insurance" to that mix!

Due to a medical condition, I'd have to have a c-section.  Booo.  Long recovery time.

Why am I so morbid tonight? Oh, yeah, mother's day.  One of them, at least.

Happily, Ron is probably giving me tomorrow off.

1 comment:

skeptical bibliophile said...

I'm wishing you happiness today even though I know it is a hard day for you, to say the least. ((Heather))