Thursday, May 24, 2012

Heart Murmurs

"You have a heart murmur" I've heard, more than once, on exam.  Every time I weighed more than 170 pounds, and when I got my weight down doctors stopped remarking on it.   Maybe they didn't feel led to comment, or maybe it wasn't there.

One doctor stated "If you were able to train for, and run a half marathon you don't need to worry about your heart".  I tend to agree.  I have had no other symptoms of heart disease (which did kill my birth mother).

I wasn't happy to hear my vet say  "He has a heart murmur'>  He didn't have one last year.  However, in cat years, he's at retirement age.

She also remarked, at 14 pounds, he's too heavy, and she'd like him to lose 3 pounds.  I finally got Ron to agree to a diet change.  Ron will feed the cat no more than 6 cat treats, plus cooked meat, a day.  I will get rid of the junk food and buy a quality, grain-free low carb product (suggestions welcome).

Then I thought, I love my cat.  I would do anything to help him get healthier.

Can't I love myself that much?  Doesn't my cat deserve a doting mother?  If something happened to me, Ron might not be able to keep Bubba.

So, we'll be going on a diet, together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whiskas purrfectly chicken!

It's a bit expensive at 40-50 cents a pouch, but my cat only eats 3 a day.