Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Hell of a summer

I knew it would be a hot summer.  

Ron has a phone number.  Due to the wonder of caller ID recognition, it will give him weather reports on various towns.  We were horrified, when he called recently, to find our old town in CA STILL had lows in the 40's, every night.  I can't imagine anything more awful.  

That said, today, I was walking around in the very hot sun, with a heat index well into the upper 90's, remembering all the dire warnings on my Haldol "DO NOT BECOME OVERHEATED".   Bad Heather.  

However, I refuse to stay at home like an inmate on house arrest.  Yes, Ron could have helped me with transportation but I am independent.  I want to do what I can for myself, and ask him for help when I really do need it.  

I'm sure at least one reader will shriek in dismay as I say "I made sure to drink plenty of cold, diet, soda, though."  They'll tell me, soda isn't water, is dehydrating, etc.  But it was cold!  [grin]  

I seem to be losing my taste for them.  Just now, I got up and decided to drink a power-ade zero.  They have good minerals and God knows I was sweating.  

Anyway, we had today off.  We got up moderately early and went to the taqueria for breakfast.  The owner encouraged Ron to try the Chilaquiles Nortenos (he got it with red sauce).  He loved them.  It's a dried, rehydrated, shredded beef, with onions, peppers, eggs, cheese, and sauce. 

Ron has terrible table manners.  Not an issue for me.  I'm just glad he can feed himself.  However, when we eat out I always have him face a wall so people won't stare.  He started out, eating little bites off his fork, and devolved into eating with his left hand, scooping up food and stuffing it in his mouth, groaning with joy.  

You can see why we might not "fit" with fine dining.  However, there was a little kid screaming and throwing things not far away, so we fit right in.  I had a quesadilla with bacon.  It was delicious, and very filling.  Happily I have the other half for dinner tonight.  

We went home and then went to a Starbucks.  We had coffee, and a nice time talking.  Ron went from the Starbucks onto the liquor store, and I went, on foot, to my errands.  I got a lot done, buying myself a new backpack.  I love the mesh backpacks, they last a long time.  

My "usual" track record for a backpack was a few months, tops.  Then a strap would pop off and I had to throw it out.  I've had my mesh backpack for 2 years.  

I was delighted to see Academy had several styles.  I liked the black with yellow zipper, so I got that.  It'll be a nice change from my old blue and gray.  It still "sort of" works, but one zipper pull broke off (my fault, it got caught on something, as I was wearing it, and I yanked the backpack forward, breaking the zipper pull, rather than taking it off and investigating).  It'll be nice to have fully working zippers.  

I'm also going to weed out my contents.  I can tell I'm a little manic, I have lots of initiative.  I figure, I don't need every OTC remedy known to man in my backpack.  Sure, take my medication, some headache remedy, but that's all I need.  I don't need everything.  That, of course, is the medication talking.  

So, I had fun.  Ron saved me hours of riding on the bus.  I'm sure he would have been happy to get me home, too, but I am independent.  I correctly figured I wouldn't "find" trouble early in the afternoon, on a really hot day.  I had an uneventful ride home.  

I noticed, on my walk through the subdivision, that a public area is very swampy.  We must have a broken or leaking pipe.  I called the water district and reported it. She was quite happy to hear about the problem, and said they'd send someone out today.  

I imagine we'll see a huge mess, tomorrow.  They'll need to dig up, and replace, the pipe.  But it will save  lot of money in the long run.  

I guess people who drive by don't notice.  Pedestrians just avoid the swampy area.  I can't stand the thought of wasting water, in a drought.  

It's going to be a hell of a summer.  


No comments: