Sunday, May 27, 2012

The safest place I can be

If I hadn't seen the broken windows, I'd have been furious.

I have siding on my home.  Many Houston homes have brick.  Brick is more durable, but it crumbles in seismic events.  No thanks.  Growing up in 'quake country, I heard many stories of collapsed, brick, homes.

Here's an image:  Brick home after a quake

My home was partially remodeled before I bought it.  It had a "bad" composite siding on the north and west side of the home, and "good" hardi-plank siding on the other two sides of the home.  Unfortunately, the north side of my home is owned by the 5-child soccer playing family.  The father also installed a sprinkler system and ran it morning and night (I'd hear it).

Last year, when I made an inspection (that is also my zero-property line side), the siding looked fine.  It had some wear at the base, and a piece about 4x6 inches had literally been kicked off the side of the house (the "goal" is placed at the wall of my home).  I was a little peeved but figured it could "hold" for a few more years.

Not after the sprinkler.  It's so rotted now, I can see the insulation, and the wood frame.   Pete said the sprinkler would have weakened the siding, and the children kicking would have ended it.  Now we have to replace an 8 x 8 foot section of siding.  I would have been really pissed.  Thank you for damaging my house!

However, upon entering the yard (I am entitled to view my own property), Pete (our friend who is helping us with various home repairs) remarked on their broken windows.  They have two huge bay windows.  Each window sports at least one broken window pane from flying soccer balls.

"Those windows cost at least $1,000 each" he exclaimed.  I took a hard look at the plastic garbage bag, taped over the broken out panel.  Concluded the broken windows have most likely led to the end of the backyard soccer games (the yard is only a few thousand square feet, it's really too small for an active family), and decided to "suck it up".

My siding can be replaced, and cheaply (About $100 or so).  Pete will help (Ron and I will buy the siding and Pete and I will put it up).

It's a lot easier to replace siding, than a window.

I also sleep well at night, knowing I'm in a safe house, not a brick monster.

We've had 4 quakes in East Texas, in the last month.  That's very unusual.  I haven't felt them, but, God forbid, we do get a quake I'm in the safest place I can be.

No comments: