Saturday, September 24, 2011

Road Trip!

Well, I'm glad I went by myself. 

It was apparent today, as I got up, that Ron was battling a black mood.  If you read the Bible, kind of a hybrid between Ecclesiastes and Job.  "Everything is hopeless/why does God hate me?" 

He was pretty abrupt.  I had to make a deliberate choice, again and again, not to be hurt or offended.  He was pretty irritable. 

We got to work, I did my inventory, and made a landing pad for the deliveries on Monday.  I knew Ron was worried about finances, in addition to his "Ontological Insecurity" - his words, not mine.  [big sigh]

SOOOO, I kept telling myself, it wasn't my fault, Ron just had HIS issues, and the WORST thing I could do was take it personally and get hurt.  I did tell him, I felt like "Oh, you're back!" - in a hostile way... and he said he didn't feel that way.  Then he did make an apparent effort to control himself. 

He made another comment, later, "I know you didn't want to come back."  I thought about it, and felt I had to address that, so when he called me to help with something, I brought it up.  I then, teasingly, told him it was a very tough call, but he was MARGINALLY cuter than the seagulls.  He smiled, and made a cawing sound. 

Not to mention, I want and need to be exactly where God places me.  God wants me in Houston.  In my house.  With Ron.  Trust me, I have prayed on this many, many, times.  Working my job, assisting Ron, and yet ALSO taking time for myself. 

Galveston is only 50 miles away.  Once I get to the Grayhound, an hour ride.  It's affordable.  I have never been to the tropics, because I simply can't afford it.  Galveston?  I can round trip on the bus, rent a motel room, AND eat (cheaply) for less than $100. 

God knows, back in the day, I used to spend more than that.  It would, and will, be easy to budget $40 a pay period, save that up for a few months, and take a little trip. 

I forgot to mention, my first day there, I fed a loaf of bread to some seagulls.  I called Ron to share, but he didn't pick up.  I left him a 2 minute message, me feeding seagulls.  Loud cawing noises, me making coaxing sounds to the birds, the wind and the water.  He really liked it. 

I'm not embedded in my life; I'm not grown into the house.  I can certainly take a couple days off in the middle of the week, during a slow period, at work.  Ron will be fine with some TV dinners.  It is perfectly easy and safe for me to get downtown on the bus, take the Grayhound bus, and spend some time on the beach. 

Especially since I have my new, nifty, folding purple chair. 

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I am so happy you foun a place to go for a rest when you need it!