Friday, September 16, 2011

Entitlement

Hm.  How do I say this?  Some drivers are better than others.  There, I said it.   We had an "others". 

We got picked up, late, and got to the restaurant.  The other client was whining "hungry", and basically asking either the driver, or us, to buy her a meal.  I was pretty revolted.  She was normal intelligence. 

First, with what she had spent on hair, nails, clothes, shoes, and purse, she could certainly have gotten something off the value menu.  Second, begging is always just completely degrading. 

Ron was pretty hungry, so I just said "Bye", got out, and took Ron into the restaurant.  Later on, I saw the driver, with the client, at the counter.  It appeared the driver was paying. 

I told Ron, she's an enabler.  If people told the client "It's your responsibility to bring a snack when you travel" guess what?  Next time she'll have a snack.  But if you buy her dinner, you are just teaching her to beg. 

The program had the same problem with people who refused to buy tickets.  People were getting free rides all the time.   A ticket costs $1, and most social welfare programs give them to benefits recipients.   If you are low income disabled, you are probably getting free tickets to ride the paratransit. 

The client would turn around and sell the tickets (I've seen this), to other passengers, and then cry "I don't have a ticket"!  The driver would get an approval.  The client got a free ride, plus the money from selling the tickets.  One day, Ron and I were riding, and they had THREE "ticket" approvals before dropping us off. 

They must have had an audit.  They began a crackdown.  One man lost services when it was revealed he had been stealing rides for a while.  Another couple were banned, when they found out SHE had been riding around, by herself, on his account.  They instituted the "No ticket, no ride" policy that still exists today. 

A lot of the "frequent flyers" like Ron, buy a monthly or yearly pass.  They are much more economical per trip, if you ride a lot. 

It's apparent to me, from riding with Ron for over 8 years, that some clients will try to manipulate as much as possible, but if a firm boundary is set they behave.  That's why, before they came in, I told Ron I refused to buy the driver a sandwich.  I knew she would just hand it to the client, and validate the begging. 

Again, this is not someone in poverty.  The hairdo alone cost well over $100.  To paraphrase some ghetto slang: "OK?"  She's not poor. 

Ron and I enjoyed our meal, and the next driver pulled up.  HE got a sandwich.   He said thank you and put it away. 

Some drivers fall on the food like a starving wolf.  It's a little alarming, and makes me glad I DID just feed them! 

A gift is a lot different than a begging.   One time comes to mind. 

We rarely ride with a young woman who is disabled.   Her speech reflects a deep level of ignorance..  Again, "average" intelligence.   She is very into drama; lots of shouted, dramatic, conversations with friends or family member, loud gossip, etc.  She was crying poverty.  She lived with her mother, who provided the food and paid all the bills, and "only" lived on the entire disability check every month (nearly what I make).  She was very ungrateful, and whining loudly. 

God forbid I have to live with my family, they will be getting money, gratitude, and a hell of a lot of chores!  That's apparently just me!   I need to tell them this. 

Anyway, we picked her up one day, and the driver immediately tells her "Oh, these are the people I was telling about.  They have their own business."  Then she told me we had to hire this woman, and asked how much we could pay her. 

First of all, we're not hiring.  That's what we told them.  Secondly, we don't make enough to pay ourselves, much less someone else.  We also shared this.  What we didn't say, is that we wouldn't have hired her if she was the last person on the planet.  Lastly, she couldn't have done the job.  I may have done another blog on the subject. 

It was obvious she would not be an effective, productive, employee.   The driver was really upset.  She had it all laid out in her head; we would hire this woman, and "save" her from the poverty of "all bills paid" living (except for the cell phone, boo-hoo) with free room and board, and a disability check on top like a freaking cherry on an ice cream cone.  NO WAY. 

I didn't appreciate the fact that the driver had CLEARLY been gossiping about us to this woman.  I gossip, yes.  Not like that.  I certainly don't imply someone else will hire you!   She acted like she already had the job.  [snort]

There is a deep and ugly thread of "entitlement" running in many of the paratransit clients.  It is ugly.  I detest it. 

I don't think I have problems with entitlement; I will happily accept whatever God gives me.  If anything, I think He's too good to me.  I think I don't deserve to live the way I do, which by "car people" terms  is completely unacceptable. 

I have a great bus line, not far from my door.  It connects to other great bus lines, and excellent transit centers.  I can walk out my door and go to the bus stop, and ride a bus pretty much anywhere I want in the service area.  When I'm with Ron, I have access to shared-ride public transit. 

I have a great little house, less than a thousand square feet, with one bathroom (one woman claimed that was barbaric! - I laugh).   It is safe, quiet, and sturdy.  During my tenure, it has withstood two hurricanes and a couple of flooding events that did not reach the house.  I love the layout, it's very effective, logical, and a good use of space. 

For the first time in his life, my husband has his own room.  He loves it. 

I have a disabled husband, who lives in a country with universal access.  He may need a wheelchair, but we've got them, two in fact.  One at home, one at work.  All our transit is wheelchair-accessible.  I can push him anywhere we want to go! 

We have fantastic emergency services, should either of us get sick.  The few times I called 911 a very nice officer showed up and helped me make things right. 

I may be mentally ill, but I have excellent, safe, and affordable medication.  I never take that for granted. 

We have a great grocery store right down the road and an abundance of affordable food.  If we want an inexpensive sit-down meal, we have a great taqueria just minutes away.  We also have dozens of quality fast-food choices.  I do live in the BIG city. 

I have great clothes that fit right and wear well.  Not only that, I have my own washer and dryer.  Sure, the washer is naughty at times, and refuses to spin.  I just pray over it and God gets it going again.  God forbid it does die, I've got a guy at work who can fix it. 

Speaking of, both my husband and I have enjoyable, part-time work we do well.  We have our own business, and get to make most of our own decisions.  I enjoy all my customers. 

I have a great life, and I thank God for it every day of the year.  I even have a healthy, happy, cat. 

If anything, I'm guilty of pride.  I feel derisive when I hear car people talking about the horrors of walking to their car on a hot day; wondering how long they'd last at the bus stop.  I feel derisive when I do see a car person at the bus stop, whining, like a little child.  I obviously have some "judgemental" issues, too.  I'm working on them. 

I would like to think I am completely honest with myself; and when diagnosed with bipolar disorder I was told I was "remarkably self-aware".  I hope I am.  I hope I do listen when God is telling me something. 

I just pray that He never calls me "Entitled". 

1 comment:

awakened0229 said...

I'm a "car person" who does complain occasionally about the distance I have to walk (I do have orthopedic issues.) Thank you for reminding me, my sister, of how fortunate I am (((hug))