Thursday, September 15, 2011

I do just fine

Today was a little wierd. 

Still battling some depression.  Ron wanted to exchange his headphones; so we went to Walmart.  I wanted to run a few errands, so he left me there. 

I did exciting things: tried on bras, got one.  Looked at nightgowns, got one.  A woman approached me near the checkout. 

"Are you paying cash?" 
"What?" 
She repeated herself. 
"That's a very strange question to ask, I'm not giving you any money". 
Oh, she didn't want me to give her, money... exactly. 

I found this very insulting: I am not an idiot. 

See, her car broke!  [I thought, very cynically, why should I care,  I don't even own a car]  She HAD a credit card, but the repair shop would only take CASH!  Since I was paying cash (which I did not say), could I use her credit card, and then pay her the cash? 

I told her no. 
She touched my shoulder, pleading. 
"You have to help me!" 

"Look."  I said firmly "I don't know you.  I'm not stupid, either!"  I walked off.  I found a manager and reported her.  ThenI put a "Vanilla Spice" candle in my shopping cart. 

I'm not stupid.  See, a repair shop is happy to take a credit card, with PROPER ID.  If her car was broken (which I doubt), she was trying to use a stolen credit card.   "If" she was telling the truth, which I completely doubt, that was her problem and not mine.  Most likely, she was a drug addict with a stolen credit card (she was obviously high), trying to get some cash to score a fix.  She had probably just stolen the card. 

I'm not stupid enough to break the law.  Especially for a woman wearing designer jeans that cost me half a month's pay. 

I don't even own a car, and I do just fine. 

No comments: