Saturday, April 5, 2008

I want to run

First off, I've had a great time with Mom and Dad here this week. We've had some really fun day trips and it's great to have them around. I sure appreciate them a lot more than I did as a child!

The last couple weeks, it's slowly built... a desire to run. Being ill ruined so many things I loved, crocheting, crafts, my marriage, my relationship with poor Mom and Dad, and my love of fitness - mainly powerlifting and running. I would obsessively perform the activity for hours on end day after day until I crashed into another depression. Or I hurt myself.

But some things about me: I love creating things, I love my job (merchandising/retail sales), I love to garden, and I love running. I'm slow and it isn't pretty no matter what I weigh but I have a good time.

Mom got me an affordable pair of running shoes. She made a wise choice. Today, on my way home from work, I decided to go for a run. I did walk/run intervals with a good warm up and cool down. I was in surprisingly good shape, especially considering I still weigh 208. I had a blast, and I plan to run again on Monday. I envision alternating run/recumbent bike days with a couple days off a week, about a half hour each time. I'm very active on my job so I believe that's "Plenty" of exercise. I'd rather do a little less than a little more and get injured. I didn't have any problems, no dizziness, no ill feelings (I haven't really done any kind of training since I started on my medication). My knees were happy and I feel pleasantly "worked".

I still had my trusty pair of XL capri-length leggings. They fit fine, especially under my 3X men's tshirt (I like it for cooking, cleaning and messy jobs).

Once we clean the wasps out of the garage, I'm going to start powerlifting again. Bench press, squat, deadlift. They get all the major muscle groups in a nice short workout. It helps to have good painkillers on hand for the next day, though.

No comments: