Monday, April 21, 2008

I'm proud of myself today

I accomplished a lot today. We went to work, filled the machines, got the sandwich order, ran the money to deposit, went to the bank, made the deposit, went to the mall and ate an early lunch. I had a bunless double hamburger and a side salad. Why is it, that when I specifically say "I don't want the bread." I get it anyway? I always end up throwing it away. I'm trying to save them a little money on their food cost. Ron ate chili.

Today I'd planned as "Powerlifting Day". Powerlifting consists of 3 moves, the deadlift (picking a barbell up off the floor and bringing it to waist level), the squat (squatting down with a barbell across the shoulders until the thighs are roughly horizontal), and the chest press (lying on a bench, you raise the bar up and down from arm's length to just above the chest). The workout doesn't take much time, but it takes every ounce of energy I've got. Forget the super-duper workout routine, the DVD's, the special gadgets, and the pills, if you want to tighten everything up then powerlifting is your move (pardon the pun). Everything I want toned, abs, thighs (especially inner), butt - oh, the whole butt screams the next day - everything gets a good workout in less than half an hour. I do 3 sets of each.

Since I had that planned, I wanted a treat to give myself later. I found some deeply discounted egg white protein powder. I like the brand, and I like the flavor. I bought it. I planned to maybe add a little coconut oil to it later, but I changed my mind (more later). I got Ron his Olive Leaf, and myself a nice bar of Dr Bronners rose soap. It is a lovely soap and very girly.

After the mall, protein powder sticking out of my tote bag, we went to Sam's Club. I bought the things we needed for work and then I saw it - a quart of heavy whipping cream. I could mix that with my protein powder (which has no fat - I need fat and protein together). I got it.

I won't bore you with the details, but we had a hell trip home. UGH. The highlight: I'm getting on the van. A partially blind diabetic woman sitting in the front seat goes "Oh, Snickers! I love Snickers! Can I have one?" She is holding a glucose meter in her lap. I told her no, they were for work. "Oh, you sell them? How much?" I told her I wouldn't sell her one because "If I opened the box, they'll all fall out". The honest truth, if your sugar addiction is BLINDING you maybe you should cut back on the CANDY BARS! HUH? I didn't say it. Oh, it was awful.

Eventually, I came home. Ron went off to Starbucks. I took a nap. 2 hours later, I woke up. I didn't want to powerlift. I'm tired. It was a long day. I get dressed anyway and go out there.

Half an hour later, I am shaking like a newborn kitten. I can hardly take a drink of water. I feel great, though. I came in the house and tried my protein shake: 2 ounces heavy cream, 6 ounces water, 1 scoop protein powder. Blend. Add a couple of ice cubes. Blend a little more. Suck it down greedily, feeling like a little kid eating a forbidden treat. It was DELICIOUS.

I plan to use that as my post-workout treat. The powder has a small amount of carbohydrate from the eggs, cocoa, and splenda. 2 Grams. The heavy cream has at least a couple more. Let me look. 2 grams. I feel OK getting 4 grams of carbs right after a workout. My muscles will gobble that up in no time. I really had a blast, and like I said earlier, everything I want toned is screaming at me. I already took a pre-emptive asprin.

Ron came home and gave me some bacon to snack on while I fixed dinner. I finally got out in the garden and had a lot of fun harvesting. My "Dragon's Tongue" beans, from 3 year old seed, are very productive. I also picked the first "Royal Burgundy" - a vivid purple. I ate one out in the garden and gave Ron a bite. I also ate my first "Big Tomato". The flavor isn't that remarkable but the plant is incredibly productive. I have a small scale so I weighed the one I ate - 2 ounces. My pole beans are vining, everything looks very happy. I need to get out there and water tomorrow.

Then I did all the dishes, boy we had a lot, and took a nice relaxing bath/shower. I did a lot today.

No comments: