Monday, April 7, 2008

Do-it-yourself racing

I'm very proud of myself; I just got off the exercise bike. I have no desire to resume the fanatical workouts of the past, I just did 25 minutes of good effort, plus warmup and cooldown.

I mentioned I already went for a run this weekend, and wasn't half as sore as I thought I'd be. I like the idea of a 20 minute to half hour workout 5 days a week. It's good, it's healthy, and I won't injure myself unless I do something truly stupid. I have good shoes and workout gear.

I thought it might be fun to do a 5K race, but (naturally) no one wants to run in the heat. Ron and I just got back from Galveston, and one of my favorite memories ever is a wonderful run I took along the Seawall. Of course, I didn't do it this time, but we've talked about going back.

Why not make my own 5K? It would be easy to plot out a 5K route along the Seawall, 1.5 miles one way, 3 miles round trip. Get up early in the morning, take my run. I love the idea. It's a lot healthier than eating bad things just because "I can".

By the time we get out to Galveston I ought to be in shape for a 3 mile run.

No comments: