Sunday, April 20, 2008

I did something smart today

We got up early and went in to work. The Postal Workers were delighted to see us, at work, early, on a Sunday. We plan to continue going in Sundays. We normally take a Wednesday and a Saturday off anyway, and we needed to stock.

I've been eating clean (finally got rid of the last of the whipped cream, thank God) and I was rewarded by a small drop in my bloat weight. I go up a few pounds right before my period and I managed to lose some of that, on top of the 4 pounds I lost last week (which is unheard of with my body). I'm happy.

Yesterday I did a moderate workout on the exercise bike. I tend to favor "interval" workouts, where I go as hard as I can until I'm out of breath, then I drop down. I do that with my running. I realized yesterday that every workout didn't have to be the same. I set it for the 60% heart rate program, and just pedaled away. Things I want to tighten up were a little stiff this morning, so I'm sure it did good (not to mention the drop in the scale weight). My hip measurements are dropping, thank you Jesus.

Today I decided to run, even though I'd run just Friday. I had a great run until I decided to take a sharp curve in the park, going one way and then I doubled back. One of my knees was a tad cranky so I cut my workout short (only 15 minutes running) and walked home. My knee feels happy now, so I know I did the smart thing.

A few days ago, I had to deal with some temptation. I really admire and respect the plant manager, especially when she put out a huge feast of goodies for the postal workers. I saw the tables set up when we went in to work. I didn't even go over to look. I knew it had bad things. It's hard enough resisting the bad things we sell, why torture myself?

I was doing great until a supervisor walked up to me carrying a huge bakery box. Bakery boxes and Induction level Atkins are not compatible. I just lost 4 pounds that week. What was I going to do?

She opened it, displaying cookies and pastries. I said no thanks. She said "It's OK, help yourself". I said no thanks again and mentioned I was doing Atkins. She got it. The guy who was with her asked "What's that" and I told him. He said he was on the diabetic diet and cookies were OK if they were sugarfree. OK, you eat your way, I'll eat mine. I bet I spend a lot less time at the doctor's office (I didn't say this).

I was very happy I resisted temptation. The next time I went to Walmart, I got myself a little dayplanner and a notebook to keep track of my workouts. I also bought a stopwatch. Out of my 15 minute run today, I ran 5 minutes. I'll let you know as I improve.

We've also been riding with this older lady, she must live near us. She's diabetic, and is always going on about how her Diabetes educator tells her to eat a low-fat, low-meat, high-carb diet. It's like, what does she eat? "Oh, I eat Eggbeaters, and no meat at all. We have meetings and they show us all the new sugarfree products". Sad. I bet I'm eating for a lot less than she is, and I'm getting more than adequate protein and complete nutrition. I tried to tell her about Atkins and she just started raving about how it's going to kill us. UUUUGH. I eat a lot better on Atkins than I ever did on the low-fat diet. I'm seldom hungry, either.

Oh, I got these awesome, minimally processed, cheddar cheese sticks from Sargento (at Walmart). Oh, they are delicious. Ron took one bite of my stick and handed me money to go buy a package for him. I ate mine yesterday to see if I could tolerate them. No side effects today (and I ate other cheese products too), so they're on my good list. Yay. I love cheese. I'm just going to get the unprocessed "Unfooled around with" cheeses, and consume them at Induction levels - 3 to 4 ounces a day. I still have 1.25 ounces to play with if I choose.

I already did my cooking for tomorrow - I have a cube steak, some bacon Ron made, and my sausage patties. We ate at Wendy's the other day and I got a great low-carb meal for about $2 - a bunless hamburger and side salad (a tasty one, too). I love it. Salads can be really tricky because I need to eat them with FAT! Salads are percieved as "should be lowfat" so I have to eat them with some kind of greasy meat. Yum.

It's a good thing I already ate before typing this! Have a good one!

No comments: