Friday, April 25, 2008

"It doesn't take much to be an asshole"

"There's a fine line," Ron expounded "Between being a decent human being and an asshole." Yes, I agreed. Our new speakers are FINE, but no doubt they could cause all our neighbors to hate us. Who wouldn't love Huey Lewis' "I Want a New Drug" cranked at ear-bleeding levels, or Ron's personal anthem "Leave this long-haired country boy alone", accompanied by thumping bass line?

Ron went outside in the midst of our, dare I call it "concert" and discovered that "I sound just like that asshole on the other street, the one we always end up calling the cops on. There's really a fine line between being a decent human being and an asshole. If they don't call the cops on me, they'll come and steal it."

IFC ran a great little film clip recently: "Let's Wake Up the Neighbors". You can find it on YouTube or just google it like I did. It is absolutely hysterical. So true.

Your fine music is unspeakably annoying to at least one of your neighbors. I always wanted to get a bagpipe CD. I'm one of the only people I know who enjoys bagpipes. If you go back far enough, I have some Scottish ancestry. Maybe that's it. But everyone else would rather undergo a root canal than listen to "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes. Especially ignorant people. Hence, my idea: when people who lived near us played their annoying music, we'd play the bagpipes until they turned it down.

"We'll get shot" Ron claimed. I never had the nerve to put his theory to the test.

No comments: