Thursday, November 30, 2017

"I don't want food"

I woke up today with a terrible headache.  I took some Excedrin and drank a Mountain Dew, then did my shower.  It abated, somewhat, but I could feel it lurking, wanting to come back. 

I'm very glad I took the Excedrin, I don't think the aspirin would have worked at all, and I would have had to battle for 6 hours, until I could take something else. 

One reason I always carry phenergan, just in case I get a really horrific headache. 

I believe this one was related to the Claratin I took yesterday.  Twice now I have taken a Claratin and had a bad headache the next day.  I won't be taking it any time soon, that's for sure. 

I also plan to buy some herbs (Butterbur, Feverfew) to help prevent headaches. 

I got dressed, didn't even eat because I had no appetite.  If I'm not hungry I don't eat because my body is telling me "I don't want food".  I listen. 

We got our "ten minute callout".  It was Ron's idea, have the computer call when the driver is close.  They liked the idea and implemented it.  Taxis have been doing it for years, they call you and tell you to go outside, and 30 seconds later there's your ride. 

So, we went out.  And nothing.  2 hours later, more nothing.  Ron called and they said the system was down.  Clearly. 

He also, during this time, talked to our boss, who said they will not pay us back for our transportation because my name's on the Greyhound ticket, not Ron.  Great.  There are also issues with the hotel bill. 

"Think of it as ransom" I told Ron "That you paid to keep your business." 

Agh. 

In the meantime we're standing out in front of the house for almost 2 hours.  I did my mobile post while standing out front. 

We had to go to the bank to turn $1's into 20's, pay me, deposit, etc.  So, we had to go. 

Thank God we only had a one-way. 

As I've said, we make our money, literally $1 at a time.  All those $1 bills stacked up look pretty impressive, especially if an ignorant person assumes they are anything other than a $1 bill.  They don't realize half the money goes to inventory, then taxes, etc.  We only keep a small percentage of what we "make", but we still have to process it. 

And, even to me, all those $1 bills stacked up on the counter look pretty impressive.  The LAST thing either of us wants is a driver walking in on us when we have all the money stacked up and being processed.  The gossip at paratransit is pretty extreme, and it would be all over the fleet in 10 minutes, "Ron and Heather are rich."  I have mentioned how, nearly 20 years ago, a cab driver we used (not paratransit) gossiped to one of his other passengers that we "were always going to the bank".  Yes, we were, to make deposits.  Instead, he had us rolling in dough. 

The other passenger recognized us from the driver's description, on paratransit, and went around for years telling everyone "We were really rich".  She also told everyone where we lived (unfortunately, she was on the vehicle when it picked us up one day), and I am pretty sure was instrumental in getting us robbed.  In fact, when I told her we were robbed, she told us she was sorry. 

"Someone" I told her "Must have thought we had money in the house.  Which we don't.  But they trashed it anyway.  Maybe people shouldn't gossip anymore."  And she stopped. 

So, the last thing we want is a driver walking in during the middle of the transaction.  That almost happened once.  What we do now is take a one-way to the bank and then take a cab home.  We have a good cab who works that area and is always happy to give us a ride. 

It's a good thing we had planned on having a cab get us, because we would have missed our ride home. 

The driver knew she was almost 2 hours late, when she came.  She got out of the vehicle (it was the large van) and came, very reluctantly, around the side of the vehicle.  I greeted her as "my hero!" and gave her a bag of candy. 

I got on the vehicle, while she loaded Ron.  There was a couple, she didn't have any legs and kept staring covetously at my house.  I wanted to tell her her wheelchair wouldn't have fit in my bathroom.  Or in any of my other doorways.  She had a wide wheelchair. 

The man kept staring at me when he thought I wasn't looking, probably wondering why I was riding paratransit.  Well, that's my business.  If he had just asked I probably would have told him.  Rude, I felt, the both of them.  The third passenger was slow and was holding a large folding handcart, the kind you use for big shopping trips. 

We had a straight trip to the bank.  When we got there the driver mumbled something I couldn't understand, and then got angry when I didn't understand her.  Well, it's not my fault you are mumbling.  My hearing is fine but I don't speak "mumble". 

We finally got unloaded and into the building.  We had planned to get there around 10, before all the "early lunch" people got there to do their end of the month banking.  I'm not the only one who gets paid at the end of the month. 

It wasn't too bad..  I took all the $5's out of the money (when a vending machine accepts one and five dollar bills I have to sort out the fives), counted it again (matched up to what Ron said we had), and got in line with 3 other people (business banking). 

It was a teller I like.  Good.  She is very efficient and we have never had a problem.  I gave her a bag of candy (all these had a Scripture booklet included), and the money, counting it yet again.  Yup, still matches up. 

She counted the money on her machine, and put it into $100 packs.  It matched what I had.  We finished our business and then left. 

Ron called Mike, our new primary cab driver.  Cab drivers tend to work a certain area, and he works our home base.  He showed up in about 3 minutes. 

I left the bank.  A nice person held the door, but his girlfriend stood off to the side, on the wheelchair ramp.  What was I supposed to do?  Take the stairs?  I pushed Ron towards her and she got out of the way. 

If you hold a door for a disabled person, make sure you are not blocking it, or the path to the ramp, in any way.  Otherwise it makes things awkward. 

Mike got the wheelchair loaded.  He liked the candy.  I gave him some yesterday.  He said he really liked the booklet, and remembered it from when he was a child, he actually learned to read off the booklet.  I thought that was cool.  I may tell World Missionary Press about that.  That's a story they would like. 

We were going to go through the Jack in the Box drive through, but they were closed "for remodeling".  So I settled for McDonald's instead. 

They were pretty quick getting the food while Ron and Mike waited in the cab.  Ron got food, too.  I went back out with the food and gave it to Ron.  Ron ate his fries in the cab, carefully, so as not to make a mess. 

Mike didn't want anything, I asked.  We went home.  He got the wheelchair for Ron and Ron paid him.  We went in the house and ate our food.  I took my evening pills, I felt well enough for that. 

I also took a naproxen because I wasn't happy with the lurking headache.  It did the job. 

I took a nap for a couple of hours and woke feeling pretty rested.  I always feel tired but I didn't have that dragging fatigue that goes along with a migraine.  I also had enough energy to write all this, so the meds did work. 

We have tomorrow "off".  We go to work on Saturday to do a supply run and stock.  I just realized we didn't do an inventory.  Ooops.  Ron will have to guess. 

I have a good idea what I need so I'm not worried.  "Big chips" have been VERY popular lately.  I plan to get two each of plain, and hot. 

Enough about work; I need to go change the litter boxes.  Fun fun! 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come you stopped doing the paleo and are eating junk again?

Heather Knits said...

Short version (hurricane) Harvey.

Longer version, a lot of accumulated stress led me back to emotional eating. Ron was passing out drunk every night while we were stranded, belligerent, our stockroom got raided, stuck at home with an abusive drunk for a week would make anyone reach for the Cheetos! :)

Anonymous said...

I hear you I use food to deal with stuff going on in my life too. I don't know how to stop. Not eating the junk can make things too overwhelming but on the other hand eating the junk makes me unhappy too. I guess I choose the lesser of 2 bad things to cope.