Thursday, November 16, 2017

"You need to eat"

For a very long time, almost up to my 30's, everytime I got sick people would nag me to eat.  They would shove soup, toast, crackers, etc. at me, trying to keep me nourished. 

I almost always refused, because, if I did eat, I felt worse and/or vomited.  Vomiting with an already sore throat is a miserable prospect. 

It used to scare the heck out of my adoptive Mom, I wouldn't eat, wouldn't eat, so sick, barely drinking water, better take her to the hospital - and then just as the thought struck I would bounce out of bed, eating the entire contents of the fridge and back to my usual self. 

When I hit puberty, the migraines came.  Eating was really out of the question with a migraine, and pretty quickly, Mom stopped even trying to feed me.  She knew I would eat when I felt better.  Eating with a migraine just resulted in more misery, and they only lasted a day or so, anyway. 

Then I met Ron.  Ron was very aggressive in trying to get me to eat, which resulted in some arguments (ever had an argument with a migraine?  Or really sick?  Miserable).  Sometimes I would eat just to shut him up, get sick, then "tell him so".  He finally gave up on me around the time of the accident. 

When I'm sick, I don't eat.  I don't have an appetite so it seems foolish to eat.  My body knows how to fight infections, it's been doing it for 43 years.  I just need to step back and let it work. 

However, I did buy some bone broth at the store.  I figure it would be good to have on hand if I need it, or Ron does.  Ron, by the way, likes to eat when he is sick.  He likes chicken soup, etc.  So I probably need to get more of it. 

I do have one can of chicken and rice, in addition to the bone broth, because I can't just run to the store.  I have to plan ahead.  A trip to Walmart is minimum, $30, round trip in a cab.  A trip to Krogers is about an hour each ride on the bus, plus a mile of walking total.  Do you know how far someone could drive in an hour? 

So I try to hoard a little and have things on hand.  So I need to get this: crackers, and chicken soup, for Ron.  I need to get more soups for me (I do enjoy them when I am getting over something, as my appetite returns). 

I'd better put that on my list. 

No comments: