Sunday, November 12, 2017

Day 2 "Glasses for the blind"

Ron kept me up most of the night.  Whiskey, sausage, hamburger, and fried jalapeno peppers didn't agree.  And he had left his Tums at home. 

"Oh, God!" he kept moaning "The peppers!"  Needless to say, I didn't sleep too well. 

I woke up pretty early and took a shower.  The shower had a slow drain, it needed lye or some sort of caustic.  I did some of my God Time.  I had brought my Waterproof Bible along for the trip so I read out of that as I did my study/prayer time. 

I had breakfast vouchers.  Ron didn't want his so I took mine and went downstairs.  I ended up sharing a table with a lobbyist.  You always hear bad things about lobbyists, but she lobbies for the blind vendors program.  She was a very good listener, relatable, and a very nice person.  I liked her. 

I went back up to get Ron.  He was slow getting ready but I got him down to the conference room on time.  We had a lot of speeches, the state of the program, what is going on in government regarding our program (we heard from the lobbyist) and other speeches. 

We had a tradeshow.  I admired the shiny new snack machine I would never get and geeked out over the features.  Ron kept laughing at me.  We didn't see anything we would want to carry in our product lineup. 

We broke for lunch.  We had enough time go to upstairs and take a nap.  We both needed it after the lousy night we had. 

I slept pretty well considering.  We got ready and went downstairs again.  They had 4 choices.  You had to attend each seminar, but you could pick the order yourself. 

Ron chose electronic fee payment for the first one.  We will now be able to pay our fee online, like a checkout at Amazon or something.  Interesting.  We will have to get a dedicated debit card for that because I always worry about something like that getting hacked. 

Then we went to the micro market seminar.  A micro market is basically a convenience store without a cashier, you ring yourself up.  It has cameras and a recording system to catch the bad guys but, to quote the salesman "It isn't for the public".  It wouldn't work for us.  But it was interesting. 

Then we had the smart glasses.  They have cameras and AI, they can "read" things for you and do other things.  One of the prototypes wasn't working.  We sat in his room for half an hour but he couldn't get them to work.  Then we went to the other guy.  His worked, Ron was mildly interested, but kept saying I did all that for him. 

The second pair cost $3,500.  Good to know I am worth at least that!  [laugh]

It was after 5 PM.  We decided to go back to the bar.  Ron only had one drink and a basic bacon cheeseburger.  I also ordered a bacon cheeseburger. 

The blind vendors were having a banquet that night, chicken fajitas.  I will remind you I am not a big fan of chicken.  Not to mention, I wasn't sure how that would interact with my medication.  I know a burger works.  I didn't want an unknown and then I am up all night, sick.  Plus the tickets would have cost us nearly $80.  The burgers were only $12, and that's from a nice hotel.  Last but not least, Ron has a huge mouth on him and I wanted to keep him contained. 

We ran into the guy who trained Ron, they chatted a little bit.  Our burgers came.  They both had jalapenos on them, grilled.  Well, shit. 

I picked them off his burger, and them off mine, but I missed one of mine.  That was a spicy chomp between my molars, let me tell you!  The burgers came with fries and were very good.  I had no problems with my medication. 

We were both really tired so we went to bed early.  And Ron was sick all night again, he thinks this time is because he ate too much (they were really big burgers). 


No comments: