Monday, November 20, 2017

Crewel world

We went to work, stocked.  Came home and I took a nap. 

I had a hard time getting up.  I decided to take a claratin because my symptoms are more "allergy" and less "head cold".  It helped. 

So now I know, allergies. 

We rode home from work with a woman wearing a face mask, deep, hacking, moist, coughs, muttering "I'll be glad when I get this mold out of my lungs".  Thinking, oh, God, don't let it be contagious (she took her face mask off). 

Sometimes I really don't like riding with very sick people.  Imagine if she were riding with a chemo patient or something.  My favorite, one time we picked up a woman in a wheelchair, wearing an indecently short skirt (had I cared to look, I could have seen her privates), lower legs swathed in bandages, oozing pus.  Or the guy who scraped his scab all over Ron's wheelchair because "It was itchy".  Thank God we were going home, you can bet I sanitized the hell out of the wheelchair before I let Ron OR the driver touch that. 

I don't like to ride sick but sometimes it is unavoidable.  In my case, though, I haven't been contagious, it's just been allergies.  Explains why I haven't had a sore throat since early last week. 

So I told my aunt I could make it to Thanksgiving.  I didn't want to go if I am sick.  That would be a lousy holiday gift, getting her sick. 

Some cousins and their kids will be there, too.  I told Ron I was going but he wants to stay home and eat a TV dinner.  So I got him a couple of TV dinners so he has something to eat. 

I guess you could say I bought him Thanksgiving dinner.  We have done formal dinners before, one time I cooked collards I grew myself.  Another time I did a chicken, which was much more our size than a giant turkey.  We have a small freezer and I don't like turkey THAT much.   One year Bubba cat (the black one) stole my turkey neck before I could cook it for stock. 

We went to Walmart.  I got Ron the things on his list.  I got him some magnesium.  He is getting, I think, plenty of calcium from his antacids.  But he needs magnesium.  I know for a fact he isn't eating any whole grains or leafy green veggies, so I decided to see if he would take the magnesium.  It's only 1 pill a day, unlike the cal-mag-zinc which was 3. 

I worry about his bones, among other things.  When I gave him the magnesium and explained he actually said he would take it.  Good. 

I bought myself some pepto in case I have any more digestive issues.  So far I have been OK.  I think the Kerala Egg Roast got me.  It was hardboiled eggs in a spicy tomato sauce.  Better than it sounds but pretty firey.  I pulled 3 hot pepper seed casings out of my sauce. 

I found the Glucosamine and bought Ron some.  He is using it to avoid hand surgery, which I understand.  I wouldn't want a Medicare doctor cutting on my good hand if I only had the one.  It took me a while to find it, though. 

Then I got some Driver Candy.  I got some paydays, mint patties, and some assorted chocolate, 3 pounds' worth.  Then I got an 80 count package of bags for them. 

That reminds me, I need to order some more Scripture booklets tomorrow. 

Cat litter, cat food, cat treats.  Cats ended up costing half the bill. 

I have a sewing issue I had to resolve, so I bought some thread and a package of crewel needles, which seemed to have the biggest eye (I want easy threading).  Later on, I did my mending. 

Then I checked out.  I had to pick up the 38 pound package of cat litter so she could scan the bottom.  I wouldn't let her pick it up because I saw a dialysis bandage on her arm.  I know what they look like, having ridden with dialysis patients for so long.  I thought it was sad that she had to work at Walmart during the holidays.  She rang everything correctly and then we headed outside. 

We had Anthony again.  We get him a lot when we go to Walmart.  Ron had to ride in the back because we were picking up 3 other clients on the way home.  I stuffed all my junk (crap) in the back with Ron. 

When we got home I unloaded everything and got it put away, then I "let" Ron have the kitchen.  I think, while he is back drinking, he is drinking less. 

He also read the autobiography of Phil Collins.  Phil actually reads the talking book which Ron found fun.  Phil talks, apparently, very candidly about his drinking issues and how he had some accidents while drinking.  That led Ron to reflect on his drinking. 

He asked me to take him to the doctor and have him put on antabuse if he gets "really bad".  I told him the drug has one problem, namely, that the drunk has to take it every day.  My mother did not.  She had many prescriptions for it but would not take it on a consistent, daily, basis, drinking whenever she pleased.  He said he would take it. 

Maybe he wouldn't, maybe not.  I hope we don't get to that point.  Hopefully he would go to AA first. 

I think Ron needs to be around some positive, recovering, role models in his life.  Maybe I will suggest this.  Suggest AA while he is "good" and then see if he goes, if he likes it he can stick with it when he relapses. 

Good idea.  Not what AA would suggest but they don't know Ron. 

We have tomorrow off.  I plan to bag up a lot of Driver Candy tomorrow and get that all set up.  The rest of the day should be pretty quiet. 

We'll see. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always hope Ron has insight and stops. I agree anti use is only as good as the intent of the person taking it.

Anonymous said...

I thought you were leaving Ron after Christmas sales were finished. Did you change your mind?