Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Two sips

"I only had two sips of vodka!" Ron wailed "What happened?" 

I told him what happened, a night of sleep deprivation, hours of verbal abuse, and discovering a bloodied Ron (he fell out of his wheelchair and hit above an eyebrow) on the kitchen floor.  I didn't shriek at him, it was more a weary retelling instead.  If I get all pity party then Ron gets defensive. 

Have you ever tried to wake up someone having a blackout so you can go to work? 

Have you ever had to convince the disabled blind man that the "broken wheelchair" is, in fact, a furniture chair?    I finally pushed the wheelchair up to the chair and said "Try this one instead" - leaving him alone, and he did. 

Have you ever had to change someone out of a filthy and bloody t-shirt?  I had help for that one, thank God.  Not to mention cleaning the blood off his face. 

It was an awful night, a worse morning, and a long day.  I also discovered, to my regret, a breakfast burrito does not get along with a handful of mood stabilizers and two antidepressants.  I was horribly queasy all day. 

I was at the end of my rope when I picked up my first devotional.  "Don't be afraid to ask for help from other Christians".   That's incredibly appropriate. 

I made some calls - just sharing the awfulness, and my frustration, especially as we had to get to work for a delivery.  The other vendor's wife, in fact, called while Ron was screaming verbal abuse.  She "got it". 

My pride crawled off under the couch to die, a while back.  That didn't faze me.  Yeah, embarrassing, but they know Ron has "problems".  I was more worried about getting to work as I heard our guy had left the pallet out by the stockroom door. 

Ron finally perked up enough to realize we had to get to work, so he called paratransit and arranged a ride.  The driver showed up and helped me clean Ron up and change his shirt, before we got Ron loaded. 

Ron was incredibly unsteady today.  I think, for him, his body is taking longer to metabolize alcohol - either that or he really drank that much.  I did find him in the kitchen, where he keeps the hard stuff. 

We got to work, Ron reasonably presentable.  We stocked.  The deliveryman came back and I paid him.  I told him the truth, and he said "Give Ron a Monster (energy drink)."  I would have if he would have taken it! 

I put away the pallet of soda, and Ron did canned sodas.  I did snack, bottled soda, and food.  The coffee machine seemed to be fine.  I just realized I did forget to check the K-cups, but we'll be back. 

A friend picked us up.  Ron had asked him to take us out to lunch, without consulting me.  I was still horribly queasy.  I just had a piece of cheesecake (not even the whole thing) as the guys ate BBQ.  Then we ran by Walmart and I bought some rodent killers. 

We came home around 2 and I managed to get a 2-hour nap.  I'm exhausted and weary.  Weary of the drama. 

Ron, for now, is swearing he'll break up with vodka.  Sadly, I have heard that before. 

No comments: