Monday, October 6, 2014

I saw a woman mugged today

First, some Torbie. Turn up the volume and you'll hear it. Ron says he loves to hear me talk to the cats so [shrug] maybe you would, too.   I love the image, if nothing else. 

I don't know what's tougher; being medicated, or depressed.  Depressed is worse, I guess.

Both simultaneously, is the worst.

This morning I woke up depressed, that was consistent.  I have no energy and my thoughts are very foggy so that just adds to it, but on the other hand I was functional enough for work, God time, Walmart, and shower (not in that order).

Work was fine.  I handed out 4 Bibles total (not at work) so that was good.  I did have a problem with a guy doing the old "Hold the door for you" trick. 

They offer to hold the security door as I push Ron inside.  It is badged and I have a pass on it due to the handcarts and wheelchair.  They "help", then slide in after us before I can shut it. *I'm* the one going to get in trouble. 

I told the guy, you go first. 

Oh, I don't have a badge for here, but I work downtown. 

You'll have to call someone. 

But I need to get in! 

If I let you in it's my job.  You don't want me losing my job, do you? 

No. 

Then you stand over here and call your supervisor while I get (Ron) in.  If you try to come over or grab the door I will notify the postal police you are here without a badge.  [Postal police are located very close to the badge doors]

He paled.  "Don't do that!" 

Stay over there and I won't. 

I did talk to a manager about this, and said "I'm sorry to be rude, but I'm not letting people shove in behind me.  Someone shot up my Dad's office when I was a teenager and I take security very seriously."  He said that was fine, they knew better anyway, and if they got mad I wouldn't let them in to let HIM know, because they should have their own security badge. 

It's frustrating.  I don't like being "the bitch", but if some people had their way the door would be wide open 24/7 on my badge.  I don't know these people. 

We did our stocking.  The other vendor was in an accident and staying home today.  I felt bad for him, and his wife, who had to do extra work.  Not only that, their delivery was late.

My label gun is acting up.  I tried to fix it but of course made it worse.  [sigh]  I'll have to ask my buddy to get it.

"I thought I could get it".

Looks like I will be doing the handwritten expiration dates, on stickers, again.  No one's complained, and they are easier to read.

We need to get inventory and had planned a big truck day, but our guy can't do it tomorrow.  We'll get the urgent stuff tomorrow on paratransit.

We also have something fun planned for tomorrow, I'll tell you after it's over.

We came home, had a turnaround trip, and went to Walmart.  I was pretty groggy from my antidepressant.  I had to go up to two tablets.  I'm still getting used to the brain fog and fatigue.

I remind myself I'm not the only person with brain fog and fatigue.  Plenty of people have it with fibromyalgia, MS, etc.  Some people just have extreme fatigue and fogginess.

I try not to whine; but it's profound. 

I could be like Ron.  Blind, hearing impaired, half-paralyzed, stricken with neuropathy and sciatica. 

I got our stuff. 

Most of it was Ron's.  He's found a new jerky he likes.  I worry about him getting enough protein. 

Probably a little manipulative, but I asked, with "slight concern", "Are you sure you should eat so much jerky?"  That, of course, increased his resolve.  Good.  He'll get his protein.

He doesn't do milk.  I try to drink a couple glasses of milk every day.  Not Ron.  He generally just eats one meal and a snack or two.  Yes, I have talked to him about it.

So, I got assorted stuff, but only $30 of it was mine.  Mainly an assortment of cough drops (primarily for dry mouth), some remedies for the drivers, a new clipboard for my notepad.  A sick driver is always happy to get a $1 box of "sinus relief" and a bag of inexpensive cough drops.  

I'm not sharing this as an "I'm so holy" but as a suggestion, if you work in an office you could put a few cheap remedies and some cough drops in an office drawer and encourage people to help themselves.  Headache pills, etc.  I'd probably do that if I worked in an office. 

I always had a candy bowl; a huge hit with the coworkers. 

Anyway, I got my things and checked out.  However, the lady at the next checkout lane dropped her case of soda and it leaked everywhere.  My cashier stopped ringing me up, believing she would lose her job if she didn't rush to help.   She explained, later. 

She mopped up the soda while the other cashier took a leisurely walk to the back of the store to get a replacement case of soda.  I stood there, frustrated, watching other employees walk past, my things on the conveyor belt, my pickup time approaching. 

"I'm not mad at you" I told her "Just frustrated at all the people who walked by and should have helped you." 

I got out in time. 

As Ron and I waited on our ride, I witnessed a mugging.   A young black man, dressed in expensive "urban ghetto" attire and some very baggy designer shorts, grabbed a plastic bag from a young woman's hand.  The victim was Creole (French/Black from Louisiana, like Ron).  Once she gathered her things she chased him across the parking lot. 

It was funny, but only because it didn't involve us. 

"I think" I told Ron "We need to go back to the early morning Walmart trips." 


No comments: