Friday, October 3, 2014

A good place

A couple of issues today:

Drain line
Ebola Disaster prep. 

First, though, I have to cover work.  We went to work.  The other vendor is out of town, a little quality couple time.  Great, I said, and I meant it. 

Our bottled vendor was down.  Generally that means doing a power off reboot (unplug for a couple minutes, power up) and clear out the error messages.  However, during the startup an internal part fell off. 

I could have gotten in back - without medication.  My hands could have had the dexterity - if.  I would have been able to actually think it out - if. 

But I'm "crazy" and the medicine is absolutely required.  I lamented this in the bathroom. 

Another woman said "Oh, arthritis!"
No, I'm crazy.
What?
I'm crazy.
Huh? 
You know, hearing things, seeing things, bipolar crazy?
Oh.  She took a step back. 
Don't worry, I told her.  I take my medication - but it messes up my hands so I can't fix the vending machine. 

I guess, between us, the repairman needs the money. 

I'm sure she went and told everyone, who told her, we knew all this years ago. I told everyone back in 2006. 

One of the best things that ever happened to me at work, a Postal Worker came to me.  She said she'd heard I was bipolar.  Did I ever experience things that weren't there?  Yes, I told her.  It's easily fixed with a small pill every day.  Does "your friend" have a doctor already?  Yes?  Just tell the doc and they'll fix you right up. 

I was so glad it was out there - so people could come to me. 

We got everything stocked and went home.  We had adequate inventory to get us another couple days, so I don't need to do a supply run tomorrow. 

Instead, we're going to get a drain line cleanout cover.  Ron broke it a couple years ago. 

Neither of us understood it goes directly to the sewer line, and it's really important to keep things out of that line.  I suspect that was a factor in our clog. 

We understand now, so when we got home I went out back and managed to get it unscrewed.  We're going to take it to Home Depot, get another cover, and install it tomorrow.  No more drama. 

I'm glad we got that done.  Last night, I kept thinking about the rats.  Bubba brought me a lot of rats the last couple years.  I wonder if they came out of that line, since the cover was broken. 

Not a restful thought when lying in bed. 

We also had a pretty severe storm system move through, and I wondered about the rain washing something into that line.  [sigh] 

I thank God, on a regular basis, for "working systems".  Electrical, plumbing, appliances, HVAC, everything... but boy those systems are complex. 

Now, about Ebola. 

What do I need to do if this thing goes pandemic? 

1.  Cultivate non-paratransit rides to work.  I know at least 2 guys on the day shift who work in my area. 

2.  Check the cat food inventory.  If quarantined, we will need 3 week's cat food. 

3.  Meds are fine, but I could use another refill. 

4.  Does Ron have his medication?  He is very dependent on Tylenol and Glucosamine, neither a prescription, but he suffers terribly without them.  I'd be in bad shape without caffeine, and my generic excedrin. 

5.  Ron is in the habit of drinking daily - he is at the liquor store right now on a supply run.  So I suppose he would be OK if quarantined.   If you smoked, and could afford it, now might be a good time to think about that. 

6.  Get some of those hair-washing without the water caps.  Maybe get a filter straw in case the water system goes down and under a boil order.  Put some water up in used 2 liter soda bottles (so incredibly easy and they store forever). 

7.  For those with home defense options, get bullets or whatever.  In my case I'm trusting in Jesus. 

8.  Figure out what to do if things get really bad, and people are banging on my door wanting food.  I would probably close the cat door so no one eats my girls. 

There's a good place, between having my head up my butt, and planning for the absolute worst.  I want to be there. 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron is a raging alcoholic who takes tylenol? wow my liver quivers thinking about that.

Heather Knits said...

CAN be a rager. Alcoholic? I don't label.

He has been very careful about his intake since I made a short video of him during a blackout. I'm starting to think hearing that was the "rock bottom" I've always heard about.

Anonymous said...

we all hope so Heather. Honestly we all hope so.