Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Plumbing week

"Your drain line has a lot of buildup" our plumber warned us yesterday.  "You're going to want to get that cleaned out." 

Well.  Let's just say I'm glad the toilet backed up into the tub drain, before I took my shower.  That happened once, about 22 years ago, and it was awful.  I wanted to dip my feet in bleach.  I'm glad I'd also removed my bucket of cleaning products. 

However, since I missed my shower yesterday I needed an option. 

1.  I need to get some of these:  http://www.amazon.com/No-Rinse-Shampoo-Cap-5-Pack/dp/B009I12STI/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RGTP96EZ539GY5MBZ8J  They wash your hair without using soap, water, bending over at the kitchen sink, etc. 

I did have bath wipes, with made morning cleanup very easy for both of us.  They sell them at Walmart.  You work your way from cleanest to dirtiest, areas. 

Our population is aging, which makes things like this far more available than they were after Ron's accident.  Back then, they were a "specialty" item.  Now they're on the shelf at Walmart.  

I did have to wash my hair at the kitchen sink.  It was greasy.  I poured cup after cup of water over my head, as I bent over the sink, keeping a very leery eye on the drain action - I didn't want sewer literally backing up in my face. 

The drain was a good boy. 

I finally gave up on cups of water, and stoppered the sink.  I put an inch or two of water in the sink and dunked my hair.  It wicked up the shaft pretty well.  I lathered, using my strongest detergent shampoo (clarifying, with no conditioner), far more shampoo than I'd use in the shower. 

Then the rinsing.  The dunk method seemed to work the best, there, as well. 

Ron and I bickered a little. 

Ron kept asking what to do if he needed to use the toilet.  I told him to use his commode chair.  He has a plastic commode chair, looks like this:  commode chair

We'll deal with any results afterward.   As a rule, he urinates into a plastic bottle with a screw on cap.  He finds that a lot easier than hobbling to the bathroom every time.  He has a couple "piss bottles" and can empty them later. 

I asked if he was OK with me sharing that, and he said "Why wouldn't I be?" 

Ron already talked to the plumber, who's coming this afternoon.  He will be evangelized, get testimony, offered a cold drink, and given a Bible if he wants it... just like yesterday's plumber.  He'll also get a tip.  :) 

I'm calling it: Plumbing week. 


No comments: