Sunday, June 3, 2012

"You MUST be Heather"

"You know it don't come easy".  Good description of my church search.

Why, Heather, you might say.  There are plenty of churches near your home.  Oh yeah?  Are they Biblical?  NO.  Why do you say that?  Because they believe in  First Lady Nonsense.

I found another church, a little farther away.  They didn't look too bad, until I met with the pastor and learned he doesn't even believe in the Rapture.  Again, that's a major problem.  We STILL went, and were subjected to an hour long demand for money passing for a "sermon".  Ron and I, disgusted, gave up for a while.

I hang out online, pre tribulation rapture, message boards.  I've been on one for over a decade.  One lady suggested a church but it was completely out of the paratransit service area.  It sounded wonderful.

They looked even better when, hearing about my "work", came out and completely fixed my bathroom. But, they're out of the service area, and over 20 miles from our home.  We sent an email to the pastor, asking for a ride.

[crickets]

Agh!  It's enough to drive even the most devout, to profanity!  They gave me Bibles for handout!  [Even better, Pastor says they can provide, quote "thousands" more on request for handouts]  They are awesome, and Biblical!  I want to go!

BUT I CAN'T GET THERE!

Heather, Ron suggested, why don't you do an internet search, for a Starbucks near the church?  I can call the transit company and find out if they go there.

Yeah, right, I thought.  Even if we can get close, can we get a ride?   I gave Ron an address.

He made a trip to go there, it was a wonderful area, just in the service area.  We had a lovely meal at a restaurant, and didn't break the bank.  We had coffee, and an overall wonderful date.

Ron felt loved because I pushed him in the wheelchair.  I felt loved because I got my quality time.  We had a wonderful date.

Ron had me send Pastor an email with the new information.  We got an email back.  Someone was offering a ride.  Then someone else.

Today we got up, and had a nice straight trip.  We got there early, called the guy, and he came and had coffee with us before taking us to church.

Remember when I mentioned the message board?  I met 3 people who post on the board.  One of them, hearing me talk about Bible Handouts, came over and said "You must be Heather".  I had to laugh.  I'm  zealous.

I talked to Pastor about getting more Bibles, and to someone else about "tagging" them with church information.  I'd love to point the unreached at an awesome church, after they get the Bible.  They liked the tracts (Where to Look, and Ron's tracts), and I gave one man a sample Bible "done up for handout".

One of the message board guys offered us a ride in the future, which is great.  I wouldn't want to ask the same person to help us every week, I now have a total of 3 ride options.

The sermon was great, but I felt bad for Ron during the singing.  I am tone deaf.  So is our friend.  Ron, trapped between us, looked rather pained, but the lady behind us (also from the message board) had a lovely singing voice and Ron listened to her, instead.

I have audio processing troubles, but I was able to understand what Pastor said.  It was a wonderful service.

I feel like I did when I crossed the finish line at the half marathon.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes it seems that the churches are all for making members feel like the 10% tithe to keep the church going. When in fact the tithe is old testament doctrine not new testament. Since we are under grace not the law it is not required.

Perhaps there would not be as many bad churches out there if people were not made to feel like giving 10% of their income is required.

As for the rapture. I do not believe there will one. There really is no scriptural basis for it in the bible. Even in Revalations they talk about the saints in white and they were the ones who came out of the tribulation period.

You can believe in the rapture if you want but it seems this false doctrine was spread by some churches a long, long time ago.

God's saints when Jesus walked the earth and after his death and resurrection were not spared tribulation and trials.

Why should modern saints expect to be spared trials and tribulations?

Besides there are many Christians in other countries who are being murdered because they won't renounce their faith. I wonder how you would explain the rapture to them. Are we any better because we are exempt from their fate?

The rapture is a nice fairy tale. But one that Christians should not cling to. We are told to be watchful for the son of man coming but how can we watch for him if we are all raptured away before the anti-christ comes?

Most people believe that there is just one anti-christ but in the bible it says there are many.

All generations believe that there's is the most morally bankrupt, sinful, etc and these generations have all passed without a rapture.

Heather Knits said...

Ok, I will address each comment separately:

"Nothing in the Bible to support the Rapture" http://www.raptureready.com/soap/taylor67.html

http://www.raptureready.com/rr-pre-trib-rapture.html

OK, that covered, what is this obsession with people thinking they have to be tortured for their faith? You're not a valid Christian otherwise?

Brother Yun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_Yun) once made a very good point, that ALL Christians are persecuted. Some are more obviously attacked, but all are targets of the Devil.

I doubt you are a regular reader, if you were you would know that I, personally, have been physically attacked, covered in hives, shot with a BB gun while carrying a sack of Bibles, kept up all night and sleep deprived while being emotionally tortured for days on end, etc. I have been persecuted! In fact, the level of persecution seems to increase proportionately to my level of evangelism.

I know my life will be full of trials and tribulations, until I am called home. It may be death, it may be the rapture, but I assure you I will be struggling every day until it does happen.

If you really want to be severely persecuted, why not move to northern Nigeria, Sudan, or China? [raised eyebrow]

Now, regarding the "saints" referenced in Revelation 14:15 Another angel came out of the sanctuary, crying out in a loud voice to the One who was seated on the cloud, “Use your sickle and reap, for the time to reap has come, since the harvest of the earth is ripe.” 16 So the One seated on the cloud swung His sickle over the earth, and the earth was harvested. (HCSB). Many scholars believe that references a harvest of souls, reaped after the rapture.

Think about it, after the Rapture MANY will get saved, maybe even billions. THEY will face all the trials and tribulations you see in Revelation, which they could have skipped if they'd gotten saved before the Rapture.

Regarding your last statement (and I love how all your Bible references LACK SCRIPTURE BACKUP), Jesus said there would be many false prophets, but one Antichrist.

References: gives you a lot more credibility.
Matthew 24:11
Many false prophets will rise up and deceive many.

Matthew 24:24
False messiahs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. (both are Jesus speaking)

2 Peter 2:1
[ The Judgment of False Teachers ] But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, and will bring swift destruction on themselves.

See, here, one "beast" AKA antichrist: Revelation 19:20
But the beast was taken prisoner, and along with him the false prophet, who had performed the signs in his presence.

Revelation 20:10
The Devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet are, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

All Scripture references HCSB

I'm praying for you daily - all of you. (((Hugs)))

Sandy said...

I am, very sincerely, after reading all this very relieved that I am one of those you labeled as " unreached"

One of those who folks that believe in the omnipotent supreme supernatural being. Those of you who are so sure i will go to the valley of death firey pit or everlasting agony for not falling prey to this kind of silly fantasy! Heather if it helps you live on this planet, fine but holy cow It is a gruesome paranoia Christianity as well as any fundamental " religion" promotes. I see absolutely NO difference frankly from posts like this than I do from fundamental Muslims. It is possible when you put yourself on a street corner in Houston looking vulnerable you put yourself at risk, sign flippers at pizza joints get constant harassment, stuff tossed at them, homeless begging get beat up! It does not take a sack of bibles to make you a target. I have been a long time follower, you are a terrific writer. I read to understand. But honestly it does leave me feeling peaceful to not have to live under the thumb of such a black and white all or nothing overbearing figure created by man to somehow help folks find peace? What you just wrote is exactly what doesn't make sense. It is all so negative! Good luck be well and really pray away if it makes you feel better to feel in control, but understand while you believe all this it can be insulting to presume everyone else should. What am I saying? It is the only way you can be, sorry I do not want to insult you at all, but somehow never feel that an evangelical can give me the same grace

Heather Knits said...

I'm not insulted at all. Man, what a boring place it would be if we all thought the same.

Sandy, the way I see it, God's rules are there to protect me. Do a search on my post "Just a Girlfriend" for all the gruesome details.

Don't murder. Don't lie. Don't steal. Good rules, and actually written into our penal code. The idolatry stuff goes to putting God first in my life. I tend to put Ron, above God. I tend to see the 10 commandments as a guard rail, of sorts. I wouldn't want to go on a balcony without a guard rail because I would get hurt (by my own choices). I also believe, if I am giving God the finger, so to speak, He can't protect me from myself, and I can really make some bad choices!

Now, do I think I'll be a victim due to the handouts? I can honestly say the worst that has happened to date, on a handout, (other than tripping a couple times), are the times when people look at me with a disgusted expression and shoo me off, like a gnat. I am always respectful while doing a handout. If they don't express interest I move on and pray for them.

I think people are so busy pointing and laughing (yes, I get that too) that they don't have time to formulate evil. I also believe that God has protected me thus far. One thing I pray "Blind the bad eyes" - and it works.

I think, I tend to intrigue people - what do I have that's got me willing to put myself in such an asinine position? I look like an idiot, but it serves my purpose. Well, God's.

Even if something did happen to me, I'd rather have it happen on a handout than sitting on the toilet or waiting on paratransit. People who get hurt/killed sharing God's word, tend to spread it even farther. I am OK with whatever God has for my life, but He knows I sure hope I get raptured soon.

Lastly, I'm seldom out on the corner for more than an hour. I pop up, handout, and home. Even the gangsters and ex-cons are eager for Him.

I think a handout is a great way to share Him. They get a Bible. What they do with it is between them and God, and I pray for them daily. I plan to refer them to my new church (we are going to stamp the address into the Bibles), but that's it. It's all between them, and God.