Friday, October 23, 2009

God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble

No one has said it, but I'm a tremendously picky person when it comes to religion. I realize that. I've been church shopping.

I thought it would be pretty easy to find one near our home. Silly, silly, Heather.

I had a choice of a few near our home. One looked promising, until I investigated the website. Red flags came up. 1. They believe in KJV only. That's an issue for me, because KJV is at a 12 grade reading level. Many people don't read at that level, especially my evangelism market. I hand out the NEW KJV - which is approximately 7th grade reading, Bibles, and ESV (8th grade level) New Testaments. I would have no problem handing out the "God's Word" translations (Good News), as that was my first Bible. They're at 5th grade level. I don't think the version matters - as long as you're picking up the Bible and reading it on a regular basis! For me, that translates to NIV and NJKV generally, although I do like the ESV, God's Word, and other versions. About the only version I don't love is the KJV!

The second red flag came up when I read the about the pastor page. Another page was marked "First Lady" so and so. Why does this bother me? Well, I'm getting out the misprinted NKJV paperback Bible I keep by my computer. Parts of Romans have been eaten off in the printing press, other sections were just miscut. It is a handy consult Bible, but I'd never give it away, it's too messed up. If I wanted to read a Bible when I was ill, I'd use this. Same with bathtub reading.

I will digress - I once read a lovely article on how to dispose of a Bible. The thought of sending one to a landfill with dirty diapers and all is just horrifying to me. It's God's love letter to me. One article suggested burning it, while saying a prayer of thanks for all the comfort it brought you. Lovely. If I ever trashed a Bible, that's how I'd do it. My personal favorite carry around Bible is waterstained from a water bottle leak - but it's completely readable so I plan to read it until pages fall out. Back to original subject:

The apostle Paul. What titles did he claim? He was one of the greatest evangelists of all time.

Romans: Paul, a bondservant of Jesus. A bondservant is little better than a slave, back then.
1 Corinthians: called to be an apostle
2 Corinthians: Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God
Same for Galations, Ephesians, Colossians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy
Philippians and Titus: Bondservant of Jesus Christ
1 & 2 Thessalonians, simply Paul
Philemon: a prisoner of Christ Jesus - he also refers to himself thus in other books.

James - the brother of Jesus, also referred to himself as a bondservant.
So did Peter.
Jude - bondservant.

What example have the apostles set for us? That we are servants of Jesus. Servants. Not carrying regal titles, but simple friends and servants of Jesus.

No wonder the title "First Lady" puts my hackles up. I found that on not one, but two websites. No thanks. I have enough drama in my life without attending a church with a "First Lady". UGH. I just find the concept abhorrent and revolting.

"God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble". Actually straight out of 1 Peter 5:5b-6 "Be clothed with humility, for 'God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.' Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time."

God opposes the proud. So do I, apparently.

It's a shame, they were right on the bus line.

No comments: