Sunday, June 24, 2012

A tale of two sugars

You probably don't know I own a blood sugar meter.  I'm not diabetic, and I intend to stay that way.  

When I was taking risperidone, the medication carried many dire warnings about high blood sugar and pancreatic cancer.  Great, huh?  I must be pretty crazy to take that - or, the truth, the risks of the medication outweighed the risks of not treating my illness.  

Anyway, a few years back, I bought it.  It cost about $10.  The strips cost $27, and are one of the few things I've bought that have actually dropped in price.  

I checked my sugar every morning for a while, and noted "high normal" readings.  Unfortunately, I didn't take them to heart, and when things got bad, went right back to sugar laden pity parties.  

Happily, according to my meter, I didn't do any permanent harm.  I discontinued the risperidone, and started Haldol.  

As I restarted low carb, I felt hungry all the time.  I got some new test strips and got out my meter.  Sure enough, low blood sugars.  Interesting.  I started eating more.  

I test now and then, before and after meals, just making sure everything is OK.  Today I teased Ron about checking his sugars after he drank a frozen beverage from Starbucks.  

I have a legendary love of diet sodas.  Anyone who knows me is accustomed to the sight of me with a half-drunk soda in my hand.  All my diet books say they are "bad".  

I decided to see for myself.  First thing in the morning, I have my "eye opener" - a couple bottles of diet soda.  I am not naming the brand.  

So, first thing in the morning I checked my sugar.  60.  That is an excellent fasting sugar, almost 40 points LOWER than what I had on the other medication.  I drank a diet soda, took a shower, and checked my sugar again.  

I should add here, I use the really thin, 32 gauge lancets, they are very skinny and don't hurt as much.  When I check Ron, I need a thicker lancet, he has thicker skin.  I didn't mind all the poking because it didn't really hurt.  

So, I checked it after the soda.  80.  

Ron said it best: "I thought it was diet".  

Indeed.  I'll be eliminating them this week.  They are not my friends.  

I plan to get some sparkling water to tide me over, maybe.  

2 comments:

Baureen said...

you should do low carb video blogs!

Heather Knits said...

That's sweet!

I don't see myself as anywhere near an expert. bloodsugar101's website has tons of information. She's my go-to after my Atkins book.

I might do something simple like "How to check your blood sugar" though.