Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Favorite things

I'd feel like a whore if I put ad links in my blog.  I have very strong opinions on the subject.   I don't care what other bloggers do - it's their blog.

My blogger, and my youtube, each want me to "allow" ad links.  They'll give me a cut of the profits, too.  I always say the same thing, no thank you.

However, I do have some favorite things.  Recently I encountered a post on honey, and that got me thinking about some of my very favorite honey things.

Honey Sticks  I love them.  I love chewing the end off, or cutting it, and sucking out all the delicious honey.  Yum, yum.  If you ever want to get me a gift, my favorite flavors are plain, cinnamon, lemon, orange, pink lemonade, and grapefruit.

This one takes a little explaining.  When I was 19, I had my wisdom teeth, and a bone cyst, removed from my upper right jaw.  As it healed, the skin in my cheek grew against the gum (it was actually sewn closed, that way).  Sorry to be graphic.  Anyway, when I eat a piece of candy, it always ends up on the left side of my mouth, because the right side is too crowded with the scar tissue.

As a result, I ended up with a 3-sided filling after discovering this.  I was always sucking on a piece!  Honey filled, honey lemon candy.  It is delicious, and the most expensive candy I have ever eaten (at $14 a pound).  It is delectable.  Probably my favorite candy ever.

I used to live in a small town in California.  They had a wonderful, local, Farmer's Market every Saturday, just a few blocks from my apartment.  The beekeeper always had the honey sticks, and wonderful dark honey.  I loved putting it into my tea.  He'd always run out, and we'd beg him for more.

Now they make it in a honey stick.  Yummy!  Dark honey sticks

Some other things we're liking, lately:  Domino's Pizza.  They have an excellent stuffed cheesy bread.  I like it so much that's all I get when we order.  I like the regular kind.

Today, we tried the parmesan bread bites.  I wasn't really excited about the concept, until I ate my first one.  They were deliciously, cheesy, garlic, and bread-y.  Ron "let" me have a few and ate the rest of the bad.  I don't even think he ate much of his chicken, after that.

Which brings me to Ron's favorite: he loves the BBQ chicken wings from Domino's.

That's it for now.  Rude neighbors, loud music last night.  Second time in 3 days, but I'm resolving not to be a whiner.

Some of the stuff I'm reading, says "Don't talk about anything in a negative manner, even the weather".  I'm toying with the idea.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most ad links don't make much money unless you have a million plus visitors. But you would not be a whore if you did so. Just my opinion.

Wondering if you have abandoned low carb.

Heather Knits said...

Abandoned? Pretty much.

Honestly, I didn't see the point in taking care of myself if Ron didn't take care of himself. Why should I "deprive" myself if he was too drunk to appreciate me?

I have also had some eating issues with regards to nausea/meal quantities and all.

I have, however, gotten the supplies to restart. I am usually prone to vicious migraines when re-inducting, so I got some herbal migraine preventers. They just arrived, so as of tomorrow, actually, I will be low carb again.

I want to avoid the migraines if possible. I may (still considering) consume some low-carb dairy items.

A few years ago, we had a big family reunion. I was eating pretty clean at the time, but I was still the fattest person in all the photos. Not fun.

I have a big family wedding coming up in a few months. I will, without a doubt, be the biggest person in all the photos but I intend to be the smallest, biggest, person I can be.

One last thought: I have fears that blogger will promote things I don't feel are beneficial to a safe lifestyle. For instance, I don't want a bunch of alcohol ads up on the blog if I mention Ron had a margarita. I don't want ads up for restaurants that gave me food poisoning, etc. In my world, an ad on my blog means I endorse the product. That is impossible with the ad bots. It will just put up whatever it thinks is relevant.

I've seen this already, if I post an entry about vending machines, for instance, blogger will put ads on "[get rich quick in vending" scams, etc] on my "dashboard", before I go to "view post". I object. Strongly.

It is my blog, so happily I have a little discretion. I won't even mention the spammers. They are insane. I had to weed out half a dozen ads for fake designer handbags just today. Thank God for moderation.

Anonymous said...

I think you can have a list of ads you do not want displayed such as any with alcohol, etc. I know Google allows this but I don't know about blogger. It is worth checking out anyway because you could make a little bit of money you never know! In this economy every little bit helps.

I understand about the weight and not wanting to deprive yourself when someone you love is doing things to destroy themselves. It is just a way to cope.

I spent all of May stress eating and gained 30 pounds. Even as I type this I just want to eat cake and other junk. Especially since we have to send in the estimated taxes tomorrow and are just sending in a hundred dollars because we just don't have any more to send right now.

We also run a small business and since March have only been able to pay ourselves a few times. We have been living by our wits so to speak and started another business but it is slow going.

I hate living this way - hand to mouth but we will do everything we can until we just can't anymore.

I am grateful we are debt free other than our basic bills otherwise I do not know what we would do.

Anonymous said...

I don't have much of an opinion about ads; use adblock, but the wh*** word makes me cringe. For me, it's almost as bad as the n-word. I find this peculiar because I'm not offended by most curse words, but the w**** word makes me feel yuck, and I'm surprised to see it used so casually in real life and surprised at my reaction.
- Amber