Monday, November 14, 2011

"Treasure"

I had to laugh at myself tonight, as I sneakily "stole" several huge trash bags out of my own can and scurried to the backyard. 

It was a pretty normal morning.  We got up, went to work.  Worked.  Ron had me running around, but I did it all (mostly) and he made a point of thanking me a couple of times.  He really understands I need appreciation. 

When we came home "Flying Soccer Ball" neighbor was working in his yard with a crew.  I'm not sure what he does for a living.  The crew was clearly expert at lawn/yard care, but he knows a lot about contracting and he has a generator.  If I had to guess, an "all purpose" contractor. 

He told me he was cleaning up, and would I like some work done in my yard?  He did this, earlier this year, clearing out an overgrown corner.  He had mentioned "coming back".  The first time, I bought his crew some snacks, a case of beer, and a case of soda.  They seemed pretty happy.  He refused all offers of money. 

I said, sure, I have some "weed trees"; the ones we had discussed earlier.  He cleaned it all up. 

While the crew was working, I ordered them pizza - pepperoni, and meat lovers.  Although he had said he didn't want any pay, he seemed really happy to get the pizza. 

When it was all done, I had 2 (very large) trash cans at the curb, no weed trees, more sun in my garden.  He had raked up the leaves I'd left under the red tips.  Not really an organic fellow; I think he believes if it comes off a plant it belongs in a trash can. 

I'm the opposite, I think it should go into the compost pile.  Not to mention, mine is puny this year.  I have a few inches of dried up plant stalks and that's it.  Normally I get a lot of grass clippings. 

My ideal compost and mulch is a mixture of grass clippings and shredded leaves.  They break down quickly, into the soil. 

I wondered if I should go hunting, on garbage night.  Sometimes yard crews leave clear bags full of "treasure" at the curb.  I just need to make sure the house doesn't have a dog in the yard.  How revolting that would be! 

One of my fondest garden memories involves me, Ron, the wheelchair, and a couple of bags of "treasure" late one night.  He held them in his lap as I pushed him home, and I put them in the garden. 

Hey, if it's at the curb, it is free for the taking.  It went to compost and grew lovely plants. 

So, tonight, I was looking at the garbage cans by the street, lamenting the loss of my lovely red-tip leaves.   He had asked for trash bags.  Hm.  I  wondered.  I opened the can.  Several large trash bags in there. 

I poked them.  "Treasure" - a mix of shredded grass and leaves.  They were already heating up, indicating they were ideal for compost and soil amendment. 

After a furtive glance at his house, I started dragging them out, into the back yard, and unloading them into the bin.  I spread one in the potato patch and hid another one in a large pot.  I got about 7 bags, including the red tip leaves. 

I'd planned to go to the garden center.  However, after buying the pizzas today my budget's a little tight.  I had reluctantly concluded I would have to settle for a few bags of quality organic soil amendments.  I wondered how I could make my entire budget stretch though the garden.  What would be ideal. 

And I got my answer.  Compost, of course, is the best soil amendment.  I can "sheet compost" by spreading "treasure" a few inches deep and letting it rot into the soil.  I do plan to cover it up, though, with some peat moss.  I [plan to add some cotton burr compost and maybe some "soil conditioner". 

I just had to laugh at myself, sneaking around in my own yard, the cat scampering at my feet, and thinking:

I HAVE to put this in my blog. 

No comments: