Friday, November 4, 2011

Something to watch

I spent some time in the garden today.  Considering the drought, and my neglect, it did pretty well. 

I just needed to do some minimal weeding - the drought ensured the weeds never got a foothold.  I need to get some organic matter and layer that on the soil, I need to get a hose, and I need about 10 bags of mulch, but I know a nice local nursery who'll deliver for me. 

I was a little worried about my graywater watering program.  I wondered if the water might hurt the plants; they love it.  They are looking so happy, and it helps me conserve water.  If the drought continues I expect they will ban outdoor watering before long. 

That means I can't turn on the tap to water, but I can recycle the graywater onto my plants.  They sure don't mind. 

My red kale, Georgia Collards, assorted chard, and a parsley plant are all coping pretty well.  I went through my seed box and made a few plans, I plan to start some broccoli and greens. 

The broccoli was really easy and fun back in 2009.  It kept going well through the next summer, with massive neglect and minimal watering.  The greens are good anytime.  I just need to be ruthless when harvesting, or they go bad. 

I had a great time outside; my only gripe was a lot of barking.  Apparently someone's dog had gotten out, and every dog in the subdivision had a lot to say on the subject!  I'm not a fan of dogs. 

Ron and I had a good cuddle/talk this morning, I did some gardening and my God Time (not in that order), and then we had a fast-food meal for lunch.  We came home, I did some more gardening, and then housework. 

It was a nice, quiet, day.  The weather was lovely, warm and sunny, but not too hot. 

I started feeding the birds again, too.  Sure enough, the thieving squirrel showed up, stealing sunflower seeds.  Oh, well.  It'll give the cat something to watch. 

No comments: