Sunday, November 6, 2011

A little breeze

I had a lovely day. 

As you may know, Ron likes to help with transportation.  However, while he is a very patient man I am not inclined to make him ride around for hours, wait another hour while I shop, and then ride around for more hours. 

So, yesterday I asked him if he'd like to do breakfast at our taqueria.  It is right on the bus line, and the restaurant offers very cheap and delicious meals.  He loved the idea.  It saved me plenty of walking to the bus stop, and we got a good cheap meal. 

So, I got up early, did my God Time.  Sat down and figured out what I would like to do (I went to a feed store).  Bagged up some candy.  Waited on the ride. 

The ride arrived, and we got breakfast.  Ron's ride home arrived, and he left. 

As I was walking across the parking lot, I encountered a very frustrated man, standing next to his wrecked car.  He was talking to a police officer.  It was obvious someone had rear ended him and more obvious it would cost thousands to repair.  As I passed him, I gave him a bag of candy with a scripture booklet. 

I felt very useful.  Got to the bus stop and waited.  Did my transit thing.  Took a while to get there.  Then I missed the stop, and had to walk a few blocks. 

Finally got there.  It is a fun place.  They sell animals, feed, seed, and plants. 

I looked at the animals first.  Awwed over the cute black kitten.  Bubba would hate me.  I enjoyed looking at the birds, and the doves were so noisy I had "them" call Ron.  I called him, and put the phone by the cage.  He loved it. 

They didn't have any kale plants (I had wanted some kale), but they did have a lot of collards.  I usually go with Georgia collards.  They are great, pretty indestructible.  However, they did have some "Vates", so I got one, and a Georgia.  I looked around at the herbs, etc, but nothing screamed "buy me". 

Then I looked at the seeds.  They had Sugar Snaps (those are a staple at the feed stores), so I got 2 packets, one for me, one for my aunt and uncle.  They are really easy and fun to grow.  I love to eat them, and a small portion costs about $4 at the grocery store.  I can eat all I can grow (and I couldn't keep up with a 4 foot row, last time), for a very low price. 

They did have some Siberian Kale, so I got a "small" - which has enough seed to feed the entire city.  Wow. 

I have considered buying some Fava Beans.  I have never eaten them, but they are supposed to be really good for the soil, can be eaten like a green bean, AND if I chop up the old plant and dig it into the soil, it eliminates tomato diseases.  When I saw a packet, I put it in my basket.  I'll share them with, if they're interested. 

And that was it.  I got what I had pretty much planned to get, no more, no less.  I remembered everything I wanted, and got it.   I came home. 

Ron was happy to hear me walk in the door.  I decided to go play in the garden for a while (it is not large, about 200 square feet).  I did a lot of weeding, spread some mulch, and trimmed a bush near one of my garden beds.  I planted the Georgia Collard, near the fence. 

It's the soccer-playing fence, with the ball coming over now and then.  I looked at the frail little plant and thought... hmmm.  I got a tomato cage and put it over the plant, so if a ball comes over it will bounce off the cage before harming the plant.  Smart.  Since we are so droughty, I made a nice "dish" around the plant to hold water.  I must have spent 2 hours out there. 

I had a wonderful time.  I need a shower, now. 

Tomorrow I need to get up at 3 to get the donuts.  That's pretty early.  But today, I had a great time.  It was lovely weather, too, nice and warm, overcast, and just a little breeze. 

1 comment:

icebear said...

vates is delicious and i never knew about favas keeping away diseases, thanks!