Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Metal Can

Huh.  The first time I tried to come over here naughty modem wouldn't let me. 

For those upset: I have to do what I feel is the right thing.  My whole "life" here on Earth is just a hiccup when you look at eternity. 

God loves me regardless of my actions, but I want those actions to be the ones He wants me to do.  I have undertaken some serious prayer, Bible study, a short soda fast, etc.  God wants me with Ron. 

I think the fact that I have supportive people, aware of the situation, helps keep Ron focused on what's important.  The other day, we had a talk about the cat.  I told him the cat loves his current life, and regardless of how we split the cat would have suffered, too.  And that's just the cat. 

Onto the rest of my life.  Last night, I noticed the messy neighbors had bagged up two huge bags full of mixed dry leaves.  The leaves were in clear bags, sitting in the driveway. 

It's amusing, I am very territorial about "my" property, and I wanted NOTHING more than to run over and snatch the bags out of their driveway.  But, that's THEIR property.  The law says anything AT THE CURB is free for the taking. 

It WASN'T at the curb.  So, I kept walking by, licking my lips over the huge bags of leaves.  I got to thinking; for milennia, the homeowner or peasant would have carefully gathered the leaves, composted them, and spread them on the fields.  Or, just left the leaves where they fell to provide nourishment for the tree and understory plants.  This went on for millennia.  However the word is spelled. 

It's only been the last 100 years or so, that plant wastes were seen as "dirty", akin to sewage, and something to be removed and disposed.  Along came the internal combustion engine; the plastic garbage bag,  weekly "trash" pickups, and all the organic plant waste went to the dump. 

So, to "normal" people, my hunger for organic matter, for my garden, appears very odd.  How do I know this? 

Well, this morning, they FINALLY put both bags at the curb.  I was chomping at the bit, waiting for her to leave so I could grab both bags.  Unfortunately, Metrolift got there first. 

AGH.  I could only see one way to get what I wanted.  "Excuse me, ma'am?  Can I have the leaves for my garden?"  I had to restate it a few times, and I got a very baffled look "You want my trash?"  it said.  Yes, please, for my garden.  She consented and I snatched them, dragging them off to my compost pile as the driver gaped.  The woman got into her car and left, still staring at me. 

Oh, well, I got my leaves.  I was happy.  Eventually I imagine plant wastes will be seen as valuable future fertility for a thriving garden, but for now I seem demented.  I get it.  I'm OK with a label.  I was very polite.  When I have a nice harvest of something, I'll give her some.  Probably sugar snap peas.  They are delicious and prolific. 

It was an interesting start to the day.  We had good rides all day, like we did Monday.  It's great, but I keep wondering when it will end. 

We got to work, did the pull, did the deposit, I got paid.  Ron sold some change.  We have enough to buy a modest amount of inventory tomorrow; makes me happy. 

Ron says since we're working tomorrow, we have Friday off.  The other vendor's wife is really sick, so we won't be seeing them on Friday anyway. 

He says he'll give me a ride to Home Depot if I want; I'm considering it.  I want to get a metal can for my birdseed. 

No comments: