Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Quick Trip

Bad news first: I woke up to no power.  It continued for over an hour, came up, went off again. 

I had massive flashlight and lantern problems.  Grrr. 

The covers blew off my pansies - they are clearly dead.  [Heather cries]  I loved my pansies.  The red kale looks horrible, too.  I tried to cover it... we'll see. 

I think the hose faucet froze.  The hose seems full of water and there's a giant icicle hanging off?  Nothing was running and all the internal plumbing seems OK. 

I had to wait for half an hour, outside in felt like maybe 10 degrees.  Not fun. 

I ran out of birdseed. 

We are forecast to get a couple inches of snow. 

We are losing power, periodically, at work. 

I had to do my God Time, by flashlight, and not as long as I like due to the flaslight and lantern issues. 

All the traffic lights were down, and people were driving like maniacs.  So glad I ride with PROFESSIONALS.  Yike.  We were late on our first trip, which messed up all the other ones. 

Ron tried to "help" heat up the house, by turning the oven on high during my nap.  The oven started to smoke, and the smoke and fire alarm woke me up.  Couldn't sleep after that! 

Good news:
I discovered the religious candles do provide excellent light.  The Academy sports "Tent Light" was fantastic.  The LED flashlights, huge thumbs up.  I'm glad I sent those flashlights to my family in their disaster kits. 

The horribly tenacious Yucca plant, planted by the house; the one Ron has tried to destroy with herbicide, salt, sawing off at the roots, etc. is clearly badly damaged, if not dead.  He was thrilled. 

We had nice drivers all day. 

The house is warm and cozy, now.  I have quite a few blankets on the bed. 

The depression is better. 

I did everything I wanted; went to the warehouse, got the supplies for work.  Waited half an hour on my pickup.  I didn't care if I looked funny, I wore the fleece blanket with sleeves, over my clothes and coat.  It worked.  Went to work and stocked them.  Decided to work Friday in the lousy weather, with Ron and be  good vendors.  It was a mutual decision. 

Went to Starbucks.  I really wanted to walk over to a store and get some birdseed; but it would have been impossible without traffic lights.  They drive INSANE here. 

Ron suggested another store very close by.  I went, found a 45 pound sack of birdfeed for $16.  Perfect.  I bought it and carried it partway back to the Starbucks.  The driver almost fell out of her seat when she saw me with it.  "Can I put this in the back?"  Happily, carrying it, picking it up, and holding it while she unlocked the back was NOT a big deal.  The birds should be set, even if the weather remains awful, for a couple of weeks now.  I can do that again, anytime.  Good.  I love my birds. 

We had great drivers all day, too. 

I'm a little hivey from the Mexican food yesterday, but I'll live.  It was worth it.  Tomorrow, we're off.  Just a quick trip to Walmart and that's it. 

No comments: