Thursday, February 3, 2011

I'd be on the floor!

"They" keep threatening us with snow.  Where is it?  If I can make a request, I would like six inches please, with a couple more weeks of really cold weather.  Every now and then my "Northern" pops up. 

I can hear a feisty flock of sparrows outside the window.  Ron's "watching" TV in the back of the house, and I'm wondering about dinner.  I got a Bad Thing and ate it.  I need to get some nutrition.  Yay.  I just remembered I got cottage cheese. 

Today was pretty quiet.  I got up, did my God Time, sorted out what I was taking today, put some hot water out for the birds to enjoy (it's still liquid).  It was popular.  I did a little housecleaning. 

I need to do some more; maybe it will help with the depression.  I get so tired of the moods. 

We went to Walmart and that was it.  I picked up some seed packets, a new desk lamp, groceries, and soda.  I didn't have time to do the deposit.  The store was almost empty; hardly any cars in the parking lot. 

They were so clever!  They had a huge display of winter coats and blankets by the front.  Just for fun, I looked at the women's "warmwear" (thermals and such).  If I was 2XL, I would have been set.  Happily, I am a large (12-14). 

Ron got a hug from a woman who was very thin recently, about 100 pounds and 5'2.  For the last month, he talked about how "Good" she looked and how he wished I could look like her.  She had no breasts.  No hips.  She looked like she was a 10 year old boy.  I told him, that's not healthy, and I'm not doing that.  I am in no place (between you, me, and the blog) what with his alcoholism and my bipolar, to even THINK about attempting a serious weight loss routine.  I am maintaining at a size 14.  I'm doing GREAT to only eat ONE bad thing today! 

It would be easy to get angry at him.  I don't tell him, I wish he were one of those big beefy guys out of the romance novels, who can carry me up the stairs.  I never once complain about having to do all the heavy lifting at work.  I never once complain about having to read him things, or push him in the wheelchair.  What about the fact that his hearing's so bad, I can't even talk to him from one room to another?  I have to stop whatever I am doing, walk up within about 10 feet, and face him (if I can see his ears, he can hear me), to tell him something simple.  It gets OLD. 

But I don't compare him to other men.  The next time he makes a comment, I will say "Would you like me to compare you to other men?  How would you feel?"  It also evokes a really STUPID reflex to say, so... You don't like my weight?  Wait 'till you see this! 

Like I said, stupid.  He is probably doing this to make me feel threatened and insecure.  Maybe I'll talk about this in group.  I think it's just a case of wanting what he doesn't have.  When I was thin, he was constantly ranting about my chest.  He said he would even pay for surgery if he got a lot of money.  Now I have the chest, and he's unhappy!    If I lost down to my very unhealthy weight of 120 (about what I weighed when we met, and I'm 5'7), it would be the chest again.  For a guy who doesn't see any visual images, he has a very unrealistic expectations of womanly appearance.   Not to mention, I doubt "Barbie" would be able to lift a 50 pound sack of birdseed and carry it a block like I did yesterday. 

I am HEALTHY.  I am sane.  Isn't that what matters?  When I work out, I have to be very careful not to become an exercise addict or exercise bullimic.  It is VERY easy to slip into the "I ate a bad thing, but if I run for an hour I'll burn it off" mentality.  That just hurts body and soul.  Sure, once in a rare while, it's fine.  But it started happening more and more often, and I was getting hurt.  And scared.  I don't want to be dependent on anything like that. 

I never forget, I am hardwired for addiction.  FAS has 80% admitted addiction rates; bipolar has 50%.  If you had a 50% chance of dying if you went to work tomorrow, would you go?  What if you had an 80% chance of going bankrupt if you slept in your bed tonight?  I know I'd be on the floor!   And people wonder why I'm careful! 

I think avoidance of certain things, is the best choice.  It's worked for me.  I think I'm doing very well, considering.  My life is damned hard but I'm determined to make the best of it, with God's guidance. 

So I focus on the positive things that bring me joy.  My new indoor plants (tomato, lettuce, etc) are all doing well under the grow lights.  I need to check and water them.  My covered plants are all doing well; except for a few pansies.  Even the uncovered red kale, looks fine.  I am definitely saving that seed!  I can focus on fun things, like planning my garden.  Where will I put the lettuce?  How many seeds should I plant?  Do I want to devote a garden bed to flowers only?  Where can I find a small hand hatchet?  What kind things can I do for myself? 

I can brood about the Bad Things all day long, I can deny that anything's wrong in my life.  I can accept the Bad Things, ask God to handle them, and go work on what He wants me to do:  Love others, love myself.  Let Him do the heavy lifting! 

4 comments:

Allen said...

We need a new video blog!

Also, if Ron is blind, how could he see the "hot" girl?

Heidi said...

"I am HEALTHY. I am sane. Isn't that what matters?"

nope it also matters that you are kind ..understanding...faithful .
brilliant....sober ...creative....
energetic even when the world slams you with depression
Heather there is so much about you that matters
I am so glad you stick with the meetings..it is easy to be resentful and bail on them but I bet almost every other person there feels the same way ..but they keep going because you all have that common thread

OOOxXX

Heather Knits said...

Good question Allen! Ron has 4 OTHER senses. He can tell a lot about a woman by putting his hand on her shoulder, or hugging. He can probably tell you her dress size. He could feel she was very thin and petite.

I have a rather sturdy, peasant, build.

Anonymous said...

Heather, you are a very admirable woman. Not only are you doing great with your maintaining (I think you look just awesome!), you are a kind-hearted, beautiful, understanding woman inside and out, and Ron is very lucky to have you. I'm also bipolar (type one, rapid cycling, with a side order of complex PTSD) and can so relate to what you are saying here. I also choose not to drink at all, don't want to gamble with that on my meds, and your blog inspires me more than I can say.
I told you about how I recently returned "Home" to being a Christian after years of leaving the church and practicing the occult. I credit YOUR prayers and Godly example as a big part of that. The priest told me, "Someone must have been praying very hard for you." I know you were one of those people, even across the miles!

Heather, keep writing. keep "fighting the good fight" as St.Paul said and keep the faith. I'm cheering for you!!

Your sister in Christ,
Jillian