Sunday, February 20, 2011

I'm glad I couldn't find my mallet

Dog next door barked ALL NIGHT LONG.  Loud, angry, barking.  As near as I can tell, it was at one section of our shared fence, near the new water bowl I put out for the birds and other backyard friends.  The fence has some gaps, so she could easily see into the yard. 

I figure we had a raccoon last night, they like to "wash" their food.  The sight of a large raccoon in our yard would have set her off.   I found some sunflower hulls in the water bowl. 

Anyway, I had gone to bed at 7, because I had to get up at 3.  Happily, we got a phone call letting us know we didn't need to work today.  The barking continued until well after 2 AM. 

I lay there in bed, begging God for help, and consoling myself with the thought that everyone crammed into that house next door was cursing the dog, too.  They never play with her or interact with her, other than feeding.  I think I spend more time with the dog than they do, when I'm working in my backyard. 

I didn't care if the dog watched me.  If she's that lonely, why not?  However, last night's escapade led to the blocking of all gaps.  She can't look into the yard anymore. 

I finally got to sleep, and what should happen... but the fire alarm?  Dead battery triggered ear-splitting shrieks.  Happily Ron was out.  [sigh] 

That was how my day started.  However, I decided to make it a good one anyway.  I woke up for good around 7:30.  So much for my day sleeping in. 

I did my God Time; the way current events are unfolding, I think it's more important than ever!  I threw on my casual yardwork clothes, a baggy t-shirt and shorts.  I did the dog blocking, and laid most of my weed blocker pathways.  I could not find my mallet. 

I hammer the metal pins into the ground to anchor the fabric.  As I attempted to shove it in by hand, it encountered an obstacle.  I looked up.  Sure enough, I was above the gas line.  Eeek.  I moved over a few inches and was able to insert it easily. 

I'm glad I couldn't find my mallet!  I could have easily whacked my pin into the underground gas line.  I was told it's only a few inches down.  Basically, the middle of my backyard is off-limits to any digging at all. 

However, I have some large pots sitting on top of the grass.  That's available, and good sun, too. 

I spent a while out there, picked up inside, and took my shower.  Ron was awake.  He wanted to go back to bed.  I wanted to go to Starbucks. 

I was feeling pretty ENERGETIC.  It dawned on me, manias are not improved by a bad nights' sleep.  When I got to Starbucks, I downed another lithium.  I was pretty groggy, still am, a bit, but worth it.  I was worried I would be annoying - talking all the time and bothering people. 

I made the right call.  I read a garden book for a while and decided to go to my local nursery. 

In Houston, it seems that many nurseries have birds.  This one is no exception.  I found the doves cute.  They reminded me of the little guy I rescued this weekend. 

They were busy, and I was able to resist the urge to get yet more bean seed, and bother people.  I happily picked out a few annuals, and gave a very small and dignified screech when I found the Spanish Lavender.  I love it.  I actually have grown it, in pots, on a driveway, in Houston.  It has lovely flowers and is adapted to heat and humidity.  Lavendula stoechas. I found something called a "Barbados Cherry".  I was pretty medicated. 

I knew that name.  I knew it was something I wanted, but I didn't know why.  It was a dollar and fifty cents, and did well, the label stated, in shade.  Good.  I could put it in the south garden bed.  It gets about an hour of sun a day. 

I have some leafy green things, and some Caladiums (a red-leafed bulb).  I could use something that had both flowers and fruit.  Imagine my joy when I got home and discovered I had bought an Acerola Cherry!  Awesome!  A fruit I can eat!  That likes shade!  It's pretty!  It's a modest size!  Excellent. 

I love the whole "Edible Landscaping" concept.  I have already planned to get a fig tree, to add to the grape, and the banana.  Now I had the Acerola Cherry.  It grows well in the heat and tropics.  I was so glad I bought it. 

It is such a cute little thing, only a few inches tall.  Hard to believe this little cutie will grow to be 10-20 feet tall.  I had average rides home.  A fair amount of waiting, but the weather was nice. 

The more I read about Vitamin D, the happier I am I've never used sunscreen.  Not consistently.  I'm actually developing a light tan on my arms, and the back of my neck feels a little tight.  Vitamins. 

I was pretty seriously medicated when I got home.  I was glad I've walked it so many times. 

I put the plants out back and gave the lavender a drink.  Tomorrow, I'll figure out my placements.  I will absolutely make room for the lavender.  The petunias will go in my new garden bed, between the onions and the beans.  Beans and onions don't get along very well, they both suffer. 

However, beans love petunias.  So, a nice row of petunias between the onions, and the beans.  I was daring and selected one of the "mix", instead of a known color.  Spanish Heather (not making it up) will probably go over near the sunflowers. 

Ron loves scented plants, but is worried about them attracting bees if I use them in close proximity to his seating.  Hm.  That's a puzzle, too. 

Tomorrow I take in a lot of crackers and cookies, and then later on we get a hamburger. 

No comments: