Saturday, February 19, 2011

Backyard Buddies

Nasty headache today; and I have to get up at 3 AM tomorrow to go fix a "down" vending machine.  Ron complained bitterly during lunch, he wanted a beer but it wasn't 12 yet.  I don't think he was happy when I agreed it would be a bad idea to break his "No alcohol before 12" rule.  I got attacked by fire ants. 

However, I got the bird to the rescue guy.  We had a straight trip.  I had put a heavy glass bowl of water in his cage, along with a big cup of birdseed (cracked corn/millet/sunflower seeds).  He ate some last night, pooped in his cage. 

Today he seemed a lot more mellow and energetic.  He looked around, and seemed to enjoy looking out the window of the cab as we rode down the freeway.  He actually craned his head so he could see better.  He even ate some food on the way, and seemed to be having a great time.  Amazing, because it is a wild bird.  It acted like a pet. 

I was really happy to see that; the last "rescue" - a wild rabbit Bubba brought home, died the next day (probably the fright).  We got to the feed store and handed him over.  The guy took one look "Oh!  It's a dove!" and grabbed him with one hand.  He went "out back" and put the bird in a huge aviary half the size of my house, with some other pigeons and doves.  The bird really seemed to like it.  He had other birds of the same species, so he won't be lonely. 

No good deed goes unpunished, Metrolift was going to leave us there for 2 hours.  I looked around, found some veggie transplants (tomato, Malabar Spinach, and some herbs), and paid for them.  There's birdie's rent.  [grin] 

They managed to find us an earlier ride, so we only waited about an hour.  Then we got some Mexican food and went home.  I took a nap, and did a little work in the garden.  My head is bothering me, though, so I didn't feel up to laying the weed blocker fabric.  Not only that, I had to fix the hole - the neighbor's dog was about to dig into our yard again.  Grrr. 

I wasn't the only one annoyed at the dog.  The people behind her were hammering and screwing loudly.  I could tell they were very annoyed.  It took them about an hour to fix the damage. 

I feel sorry for the dog, no one loves her, everyone is mad at her.  She has to listen to the children behind me play and love their dog every day.  No one plays with her.  No one goes out and loves on her, either.  Sad.  No wonder she's always trying to dig out.  I would. 

I did a little planting, but had to forget about the mulching; my mulch had fire ants.  Boy, that hurt.  All over my feet, hands, and arms!  I put a lot of coffee grounds in the mulch - they hate that.  Watered it in very well (they hate that).  If that doesn't work I'll put the mulch in the compost pile and buy more.  I try not to use poisons. 

When I picked up a piece of wood to block the fence, it had 2 lizards on it.  I don't want to kill my backyard buddies. 

I need some more potting soil; and the garden center has a flat rate delivery fee.  I can get a couple extra bags of mulch for $10 and it won't cost any more on delivery.  I'd pay $10 not to get eaten! 

I planted my Italian parsley, the Large Red Cherry tomato (in one of the very large pots I had planned to use for quinoa), and that's it.  I need to figure out where I want to put the Malabar Spinach - it is a hot weather green, vining, wants to go up a trellis.  Which trellis?  Probably Garden Bed 2 - it is partially shaded.  I might run some cucumbers in there, too. 

I had gotten a variety pack of assorted seeds that failed gernimation tests.  I was having trouble figuring the small curcurbit seeds.  A curcurbit is a melon/cucumber family.  Which was it?  While at the feed store, I looked at the jars of seed; and I have cucumber seed in my packet.  The melon seeds are bigger, thicker, and more tan.  Good.  I love a good cucumber in the summer. 

They had pepper transplants, too, but it was way to early to even think about them.  They are midsummer plants.  It isn't even hot yet. 

Oh, and my potatoes finally sprouted.  I was beginning to wonder!  I thought, did I screw up?  Will they ever sprout?  They did, at least some of the ones planted in the garden bed.  The ones in the pot haven't, yet.  The pot is an experiment, though.  Can I grow good potatoes in a large pot?  That means I will be harvesting in late April/early May. 

So, it was an interesting day.  It didn't go at all as planned, but I made it a good one anyway. 

No comments: