Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hot compost

Apparently, my compost wasn't hot enough to kill the ash seeds.  I have ash seedlings coming up everywhere, even my potted plants.  AGH.  

It's a little difficult for me to tell the good guys from the bad, especially the Amaranth pot.  I have a lot of seedlings coming up.  Who is the good guy?  Who's the bad?  I'm pulling out the obvious, and waiting on the rest..  I hope the first set of true leaves will reveal the parentage. 

My solution, for the next batch, involves sowing seed into peat pots.  Anything that germinates there, is a good guy. 

If it isn't a grass, it's a "dicot".  A dicot has 2 seed leaves.  They look virtually identical on every plant.  AGH.  Happily, I can tell my beets because they have a red stem; they stay.  Everything without a red stem is getting pulled out of that garden bed. 

Tomorrow, probably, I will spread a whole lot of mulch over everything.  Hopefully it will choke out the bad guys. 

I need to start harvesting some of my lettuce, and mustard greens.  I may plant some more beans. 

Tonight, I need to do my God Time, and organize my clothes.  I feel they're a bit scattered right now.  I also need to pull out the pull-out, because I have to go to bed at 6 PM and the neighbor kids love to play with their Dad, right outside my bedroom. 

No comments: