Tuesday, February 22, 2011

If I'm all buggy tomorrow

Another interesting day.  I'm convinced God signed me up for the adventure package. 

I had already bagged up a ton of Bibles & Scripture booklets last night; when Ron told me the Bible-Distributing couple had been killed by pirates, I loaded up.  Our first ride was late. 

That tends to happen a lot on our days off, especially when heading to Walmart. I wanted petunias, self-watering planters (it's not hard to have container plants in Houston, if they are at least a foot in diameter and self-watering), and more potting soil. Maybe some soda and whatever Ron liked.


I had a nasty headache, and had to take my Excedrin.  Most times, it's no problem.  I take it and I might get a little accelerated from the caffeine, but today I had a horrible interaction and, as I say,  "Galloping attack of the Stupids".  First, though, I got a little manic. 

I know it's bad when Ron screams at me to stop singing, already.  He apologized.

First ride, handed out 2 Bibles.  That made me happy.  I like feeling like I'm useful to God. 

We got to Walmart and I loaded Ron into the cart.  I decided to get a longer (24 inch windowbox) planter for the Spanish Lavender.  I got another pot for the Lemon Balm.  Ah.  I envisioned a nice assortment of scented container plants surrounding my chair.  I could pick them up and sniff them, or just pet them, as I relaxed in my chair and viewed my garden.  [done - and done - it's very nice now]

Can't forget the potting soil.  I couldn't find the organic stuff, so I went with the eeeky conventional kind.  I add compost and water holding polymeers, anyway.  I like tinkering. 

I found some purple petunias, and some orange marigolds.  I can always find room for marigolds.  I love what I did with them, I'll put up photos tomorrow. 

Then I got some soda and driver candy.  That ate up my budget.  Time to go home. 

I needed a nap, desperately.  I checked on my plants, they were fine.  My corn had sprouted, all of it.  It's funny.  It's in the grass family, and the corn seedling looks a lot like bermuda grass invading my garden bed.  I wonder how many people have "weeded' them, only to view the poor little cotlydon (sprout)  in horror!  [Bad Word!]  that was my corn! 

[Later on, I planted pole beans next to the corn seedlings - I have about 2 dozen seeds in the ground, now]

I took my nap.  When I got up, I planted the container plants and put them around my chair.  I planted the marigolds, pole beans, bush beans, and petunias.  I mulched.  I laid landscape fabric until I ran out of staples, and trimmed a tree.  I cleared away my new garden bed corner, and measured for utility access (legally I do not "own" the last 4 feet of my yard next to the fence, it belongs to the utilities - but I can put a large pot in that area if I want, as long as it can be moved). 

It won't be the biggest garden bed, but it will have at least 6 square feet.  I'll elevate it, because it is near two trees and the soil is thick with roots.  I laid cardboard in the perimeter, and tacked it down.  I'll arrange cinderblocks in a 4x4 foot configuration, and fill it with a special blend of soil.  More mulch on top and more garden. 

The garden looks great.  I still need to do a few things for my grape arboring - I plan to screw 2 steel fence posts together, 8 feet high, and run a line, or wire, across the garden for the vine.  It will go in 2 directions.  When the corn is done (about 3 months), I'll put in the grape vine at the back of garden bed 1.  As it grows, it can go OVER the other plants.  That's the concept. 

Right now I am only gardening in 2 dimensions, I want to add some height.  I've done that, a little, with the containers, broken up the flatness. 

I thought it was cute, watching and listening to the doves as I worked.  They are figuring out that I'm a "safe" person, and I'm not going to hurt them.  Bubba, on the other hand, spent his day chasing lizards.  We had a lot today. 

My Dad told about his acid reflux a while back.  It made him cough.  I noticed mine has been pretty bad.  I did a LOT of reasearch into side effects, and I ought to be OK if I don't hallucinate.  Yeah.  Possible side effect!  I got the cheapest stuff, in case it makes me freak out and I have to toss it. 

Speaking of, I kept thinking I heard/saw things out of the corner of my eye today.  Feeling watched?   Yeah.  I have a couple dozen hungry birds and a squirrel or two!  You bet they're watching me!  It only happened once or twice.  Generally, with the hallucinations, I will have an off couple hours, every few months.  Doc isn't worried. 

If I'm all buggy tomorrow, I'll blame the Ranitidine.  I took 150 mg tablet before dinner. 

2 comments:

Djalamo said...

We need a video

Heidi said...

I hope the ranitidine worked well for you ..a lot of folks use it with benadryl to control hives you know ..just another Heidi helpful hint!

stopping by I have been swamped so I missed my Heather time! it is fun to catch up and see you out working in that garden of yours..I would love to see photos when you are ready?

I started my garden and planted peas for Presidents Day (seems to be a tradition that no one really knows about but me LOL!)

anyway I planted peas, spinach, and the other cold hardy things ..now we have a huge blanket of snow!!! go figure huh?

the hummingbirds are going nutso outside these days ..some lived in our bamboo all year and some are just returning

happy gardening Heather!