Monday, February 7, 2011

Sprouty

Jillian, I pray for you, (and all my readers, etc.) every day!  I think it is very important!  It's funny, whenever I start feeling lazy, I end up reading something (like your comment) that reminds me why I do it!  Last night, I read a very interesting devotional, said that prayer is a weapon we can wield, if we choose, and that praying for others is the most powerful weapon of all! 

Today was really long... got up at 4.  Horrendously itchy; didn't sleep well.  Hives due to wheat.  UGH. 

Still battling the depression/mixed.  Ew.  I am sick of that. 

Went to work, rushy rush.  I hate that, but when we left everything was OK.  We went home, ran an errand, and then went off to our other location.  Filled that; then Ron came home. 

I wanted to go to a hardware store and get some more Emerald Edging.  It was one of the big chains.  I had a decent bus ride to get there, me and my hand cart.  Got off, went in. 

Got my edging.  I love the Emerald Edging.  It's about $5 each.  They're four-foot long strips of plastic edging, very thic, one end is serrated.  Really does a great job at keeping the bermuda grass out of the garden beds.  The metal edging has a similar price, but I went with the tried-and-true. 

Looked around.  I saw some steppingstones made out of recycled rubber; but they cost $7 each.  A little spendy for my budget. 

I saw some cute geraniums.  I have a soft spot for geraniums.  My parent's house in CA had some geraniums in the most unpromising situation imaginable, a small growing area, in the shade, no direct sun, little water, yet they kept blooming away as if they lived in paradise.  They were a good role model for me. 

As a result, I love them.  I like the fragrance, too.  They are frost sensitive; I lost some lovely scented geraniums a few years back when we had the snow (Dec '09). 

$4 each, and they looked so cheerful and sprouty.

Explanation time.  I tend to evolve words to create my own dialect.  I use the word "Evil" as an endearment with Ron, and I never call "Mr Black" by his real name.  I call the neighbor's dog the "Barkappotamous".  [shrug]   So, it's no surprise I came up with an adjective/endearment for my plants. 

Sprouty:  a healthy, vigorous, cheerful plant.  Used for a happy plant; or a plant in bad circumstances (ie hardware store) that is determined to make the best of things. 

Well, the geraniums just looked so sprouty.  They had nowhere near the amount of light they required, but they kept on growing and blooming.  I had to get one.  I very carefully selected a nice red-flowered one, with a few pending buds and plenty of healthy new growth (God forbid I get one with bugs).  I have been known to take my plant selection over to the water fountain, on occasion, and water it from the spout.  These had adequate water, but the lower leaves were yellowing from lack of light. 

Since I knew we'd have freezing temperatures every night until Friday (you can see why I wanted to rescue one), I wanted to put it in a pot.  It was pot-bound, and top heavy.  I found a nice clay pot that cost about as much as the plant. 

Years ago, I bought a sack of gravel for some project.  I use that for potting plants.  I also accidentally broke an empty clay pot, so I use the shards as well.  Geraniums don't like to be soggy, and prefer a clay pot so the roots get more air. 

HOWEVER freezing weather will shatter a clay pot, and ki9ll a geranium.  So, I had to pot it  and bring it in. 

I had put the lettuce transplants outside today, and plan to rotate (geranium, letuce) in and out of the house as required to avoid freezing temperatures.  In the meantime, I have plenty of sun. 

Speaking of, it was getting late.  The vampires, and ignorant, like to come out at night, looking for trouble.   So I paid up (telling the cashier how to grow potted plants on her balcony) and left. 

Other women at the bus stop seemed to feel very safe being near me.  Nothing says "safe" like a red geranium and some plastic edging in a hand cart!  [laugh]  One of the bus drivers implied I'm a very determined gardener. 

I guess I am. 

I came home, and potted up "Big Red".  See, the names just come to me like that.  Anyway, made sure the mustard transplants had a good drink too, and covered everyone up for the freeze tonight. 

When I take out Big Red and the lettuce tomorrow morning, I'll uncover them so they can get some sun.  Then, probably, back under the blankets/boxes, etc. until it warms up again. 

I came home; Ron was drunk.  Not belligerent.  He told me he is making a trip to go to the liquor store (by himself) tomorrow.  However, we got a notice from the water company; they will be doing work outside tomorrow, in the street. 

That ought to be interesting. 

We have a trip to Walmart; I'm not sure what I'll do later.  I'm pretty tired, so I may just come home and stay.  Or, I may go check out yet another feed store. 

I'll take it as it comes. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

((smiles)) Thank you, Heather. I pray for you, too. :)