Tuesday, February 15, 2011

So I went home in a limo

A rather interesting day; our first ride was very late, Ron dropped my plants while carrying them into the house, and we got a cutoff notice from the water company.  Ooops. 

I love auto-pay.  It makes life simple for us.  Sometimes we don't get the water bill and simply forget about it... then a pink notice on the door, agh.  We can address it tomorrow. 

It was a lovely day, and I had the day off.  We went to Walmart (when our ride finally arrived).  Ron's next pickup, to come home, was very soon afterward.  I left him on the bench out front. 

He asked me to get him some deli chicken "If I had time".  I figured, might as well TRY.  Good thing I did.  His ride to get home?  Late also.  He enjoyed the chicken outside on the bench, in the sun, while I took care of business. 

The greeter was mildly surprised to see me - again.  Ron said his new pickup time was 20 minutes.  I headed over to the garden center.  Yay!  Marigolds!  I picked up a 6-pack and found some nice romaine lettuce.  I have some buttercrunch at home, so the romaine would be a nice complement.  I got the lettuce, too. 

I also selected the weed-blocker fabric I need for my garden paths.  It makes life so much easier, especially since some of the paths are too narrow to mow.  It's Texas.  The bermuda-weeds can get insanely huge, and steal all the good stuff from my garden beds. 

Important.  Not cheap, either.  Since I'm planting corn and beans, my garden books ASSURE me the birds want to peck and eat it all.  I had to get some kind of netting to keep the birds, etc, out of my garden beds.  At least the "corn" bed, and then the "bean" bed (the new one I dug last month), can be protected with my lovely 10x14 foot "bird netting".  I had budgeted for them. 

Ron said he would take one tote bag home.  I tied the plants together in a plastic bag, and placed them, the netting, the weed-block fabric (which kept falling out and had to be carried separately), and a bulb planter (I plan to use it to plant clover in the yard - clover attracts beneficial insects, unlike plain grass).  Ron fumbled the bag later on, at home, and dropped the plants. 

They were fine. 

I went back into Walmart, and got the mens' tshirts I had wanted.  Dr Pepper went up a dollar a six pack, to $4.  What the?  Today's the day I got pissed about the economy.  I figured out it was still cheaper than the gas station (not that I'm welcome), so I resentfully paid up.  My latest items went into my backpack and handcart. 

We waited a while, and a while longer.  No ride. 

Ron finally told me to leave and go have fun.  I had to mail some important papers, too.  Not the water bill.  Had to. 

So, I left.  As I crossed a busy street a while later, I saw Ron.  The driver was stopped at a light.  I pointed at Ron, he opened the door.  I yelled "Hey, sexy!" at Ron, and he grinned.  I blew him a kiss and left. 

Ron told me the driver was shocked to hear we had been married for over 18 years.  I crossed the street. 

The Post Office was pretty quiet.  I stuffed everything in a flat rate envelope and got it sent off with a confirmation. 

Then, it was time to have fun again.  I walked/rode to Home Depot.  For some odd reason, a Mercedes pulled up behind me and honked loudly. 

I thought, wryly, that I didn't know anyone in a luxury car.  I kept walking.  I wondered for a while if I'd actually ever ridden in a luxury car - the answer, once, after I got my wisdom teeth pulled.  Ron had just started a new job.  They had put me out for the procedure. 

He couldn't get the day off.  I needed a ride home, I would be too groggy.   Ron called a friend who had been a cab driver.  The problem?  I wasn't allowed to leave IN A CAB. 

Chris had just started his own car service.  He assured Ron he had the perfect vehicle, and set a price.  Ron gave me the fare (I think about $20). 

When I woke up from having 4 wisdom teeth and an occlusion cyst removed, boy was I miserable.  Everyone was grinning.  I didn't understand. 

Then I was taken out to the vehicle.  A MERCEDES LIMO!  I was desperately queasy, and kept thinking, I can't get sick on the leather seats.  From what I recall, it was a very nice ride. 

He took me to the pharmacy and waited while they filled the prescription.  Then he took me home and helped me up the stairs.  I grabbed my ice pack and laid down in bed.  So, that was my one luxury car ride. 

I went into the garden section.  I found tons of seed, and restricted myself to some lemon balm, and some galliardia.  The latter is a very pretty orange-red-yellow, daisylike, wildflower.  It loves hot, dry, sandy, well drained soil.  I plan to grow some in pots.  I can make a custom soil blend and water it as needed. 

I found some nice little spinach transplants, a four-pack, for less than $2.  That's cheaper than Foodtown.  I got them.  They went very nicely into my "greens" garden bed (it is partially shaded).  The greens bed has lettuce, mustard greens, parsley, and the spinach.  I also got a four-inch asian jasmine plant, to put in the front garden bed. 

I want Ron to enjoy the gardens, with lovely fragrance.  I spent a lot of time deliberating over roses, and decided no.  I got some trellis netting (since I am growing pole beans, I need it).  Not cheap, but long-lasting. 

Oh, and I got some bean innoculant for my uncle.  I am sharing some bean/pea seed with him, and it helps. 

I got some other little items, a drainage tray for seed starting (they work great), etc.  I paid up (ouch), and stuffed everything into the hand cart.  Yes, it fit perfectly. 

Then off to the bus again.  Ron had planned to meet me, wanted to stay home, and offered to pay for a cab. 

At first, my natural cheapness said NO.  But then I thought, Ron wants to do something nice for me.  Let him. 

I went to Starbucks, got my drink, and told Ron to call it.  It showed up within 10 minutes. 

It's nice to have a decent reputation with Yellow Cab.  I was glad I had it; as we passed one bus stop to go home I saw the alcoholic panhandler gang, drinking out of a bottle at the bus stop.  I'd really rather avoid it. 

Besides, the marijuana jokes get really old.  Everytime they see me with a plant they make the same old, tired joke about smoking it.  Right before they ask me for money and I say no, again. 

Thanks, Ron.  I was happy to ride.  Oh, and it was a TOWN CAR!  With leather seats!   I felt very famous as I rode home.  [grin]

I took a nap, slept too long, had really odd dreams.  I got off my butt and got out into the garden, planted the corn, covered it with the netting (took a while to untangle it), and planted the greens and marigolds.  For a while, I lost the spinach.  I finally found it in the house.  Oops. 

Everyone's in the ground now and looking happy.  Yay. 

Oh, and while at Starbucks the Health Department called, to let me know they'd be "filing charges" on the McNasty's next door.  They never cleaned up, just threw away some of the trash. 

I know 2 little girls, their mother, 2 young men (20's), and old man, and another woman live in the house.  Today I also saw a boy.  I don't know how many people ARE living in that house.  It's only a 4-bedroom.  Ew.  No wonder they have so many cars out front.  What I find sad, Ron and I can pick up our trash, we're both disabled and no car.  My garden bed is neatly mulched with flowers, the yard is mowed and raked. 

They have old takout trash from McDonald's strewn all over the yard.  They have at least five able-bodied adults, a van, a pickup truck, and 2 SUV's.  Not one, but THREE large trash cans.  These are the same people who wouldn't put a board over a hole (their dog made) in the fence, when Ron LEFT THE BOARD ON THE PORCH for them.  We had to take it back after about a week (they just left it) and secure it from our side.   This is where I remind you we are both disabled, no vehicle. 

Anyway, I was happy to hear the Health Department would file charges, but wonder on whom?  So many people! 

The landlord moved these people in, 2 weeks after they put the house up for rent.  I almost feel sorry for them, but their greed is going to cost them a lot of time and money.  You and I know, if they aren't picking up the front yard, you can imagine the kitchen... ew.  That's going to cost thousands of dollars and hours of labor. 

Ron and I figure, if each adult pays $300 a month, they all can afford to live in a nice middle-class neighborhood.  If you're a landlord,you need to inspect the property.  You need to find out if you're renting to a whole clan, or a single family. 

I also feel sorry for the father of the girls.  I see him come by now and then for custody visits.  His kids are living like that, with half the subdivision in one house. 

Anyway, I leave it all up to God.  They are quiet, don't park in front of the house, and stay off our property.  The last bunch broke Ron's gate, climbing over it after their balls. 

I was advised, by a lawyer, not to allow them access.  Liability.  That's why we had a locked gate.  I always told them I'd throw it back when I found it, and I did. 

I didn't really think it was necessary, until one day I found a boy, old enough to know better, staring in the window and watching my husband.  He had the ball in his hand, he was just snooping.  THAT's what led me to lock the gate. 

These guys don't do that and they are quiet.  I really don't care how many people live there, if they are quiet and stay off my property.  Dog included.  [laugh]  Other than that, they are fine. 

So, I had lots of fun in the garden.  I am really excited about my corn.  I planted all the transplants.  The seedlings are all fine.  I gave everyone a drink (before I lose the water, ha-ha). 

I came in, Ron was very upset about the reporter in Egypt.  I diagnose him with a bad case of "News Poisoning".  I think, if you watch the news all the time, you begin to think the entire world is evil and corrupt.  You can't find anything positive in life and believe everyone is out to get you. 

Not true.  Yes, the world can be grim.  I look at my Bible and read Matthew Chapter 24.  I think we are the generation, the end-times generation, referred to in the passage.  I expect to be raptured before I die.  I expect I will not collect retirement. 

I believe in God; I know He'll take care of me.  So I don't focus on the news other than the traffic and weather report.  I'm sure Ron and such would view me as an ostrich, but I already know the world is full of evil. 

I would rather not hear all the gory details.  I have enough problems with depression as it is. 

No comments: