Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sixty Cents

I'm used to the weight-loss ads and links to prostitites (just some of the fun "comments"), but I got a couple recently for private wart removal?  Uh.  No. 

Ron and I had planned to go to the warehouse with a friend (the guy with the truck), and then take the merchandise to work.  Surprise!  Ron was in the bathtub (he prefers a bath to a shower, pretty entertaining watching him get up - NO I DON'T WANT ANY HELP, HEATHER!).  Sorry, he couldn't make it. 

If he could see, we would have looked at each other.  Huh.  So much for working today.  Ron had only arranged a ride home.  He cancelled that, of course. 

What to do?  Hm. 

Ron wanted to "Go somewhere".  You've heard me talk about our lovely metal wheelchair; purchased from a tool company.  It's a great travel chair, heavy, but solid and rugged. 

Let's go ride the bus.  Amusingly, the first driver was the scary guy I think had a demon.  He was the one, I got a "vibe" I shouldn't give him a Bible, ignored it, and he began raving?  He drives very angry, stomping on the gas and brake, especially when people are standing up, moving around on the bus, and sitting down. 

I told Ron "Don't talk to him!" before we got on.  Of course Ron kept asking me why, why, why.  Then he guessed, and I confirmed it.  Quietly. 

Sure enough, as I stood up the driver stomped on the brakes and made me fall over the wheelchair.  Happily Ron had moved to a seat.  Nice. 

So, we went to a McDonald's and had a very good breakfast.  We talked a lot and I mused sadly over the kind of store that has a large sign "Soda in a water cup is stealing" and "Drinks are not free!"  Ron and I always share a drink, because he consumes maybe 4 ounces' worth. 

I stuffed Ron in the chair and we left.  I had to move a shopping cart by the bus stop to make room for Ron.  We ended up at Starbucks.  Then we went to the pet store (all on the bus, and some walking). 

I bought some cracked corn (I already had sunflower seeds).  The label assured me that all birds loved cracked corn, in conjunction with sunflower seeds.  Sure enough, they did. 

Hopefully they don't realize that the delicious cracked stuff on the ground, is not the same as the delicious intact stuff, in my garden bed!  Ron decided he was tired of the bus and walking, and wanted to take a cab home. 

The paratransit company makes a subsidized cab available for patrons, the first $8 on the fare are free.  If you only have 5 miles or so, that's pretty cheap (the going rate in Houston is about $2 a mile). 

Ron called the company.  Yes, he had a wheelchair, but he had me to fold it up and put it in a trunk.  He could transfer.  So, a sedan cab came for us, a nice older guy who flirted with me as I took the wheelchair out of the trunk.  I think he was flirting... not so good with the cues sometimes. 

I was pretty tired.  My brain felt very foggy.  [speaking of foggy, Ron paid the water bill, and prepaid a little too]  I needed a nap. 

I have a hard time admitting I am disabled; as I always suspected, it's hard to develop something later in life.  I never used to need a nap, until the medication.  That came along when I was in my 30's.  The three decades prior, I hated naps. 

The brain damage?  Not driving?  No big deal.  It's not like I ever had it; and what with gas prices, insurance, and car repairs, I'm glad of it.  It costs me sixty cents to ride the bus. 

So, I took a nap.  When I woke up I did some work in the garden.  The guy across the street was doing his lawn. 

I don't know if this applies to your area, but the SECOND the weather gets nice in Houston, people start mowing, even if the yard is fine.  It's just conditioning.  They will mow, weed-whack, and leaf-blow the perfectly fine yard. 

I guess it made him feel productive; he's self-employed.  So am I.  We each did our yard time.  I tacked down cardboard on the "path" areas (about half-done), weeded, and watered.  The dog next door was very agitated.  She hates lawnmowers and power tools. 

I suspect the other neighbor knew this, and deliberately took his time to annoy her.  She got so upset she started digging herself out, partly under my fence. 

However, *I* had bought a few bricks at Home Depot yesterday, and used them to brace a board and keep her out.  [sigh]   It is really sad, all those people next door, and not a one lovesher.  I never hear anyone playing with her in the yard, or taking her into the house. 

I did my best to avoid the drama.  Oh, this morning?  The guy next door had this uprooted tree stump in the front yard.  I'm not kidding.  He dragged it to the street and left it out for the garbage pickup. 

I thought for sure it would stay.  However, they took it.  I did call the garbage company and ask them to mail the neighbors a "What you can put in the trash" flyer, because they don't seem to understand. 

If I got cited by the health department, I would pick up all the old food wrappers, empty bottles, and half-drunk bottles of juice.  They took out the tree stump and left the food trash.  Huh. 

Tomorrow, up early, to work.  Then home I think; nothing else. 

No comments: