Monday, August 2, 2010

Where can I get the free Bibles?

I get that question a lot. People want my source for the "free Bibles" so they can go hand them out, too.

I try not to laugh. 98% of the Bibles I hand out are the ones I purchased. Occasionally, Ron will feel inspired and buy me a case of Bibles. The perfect gift for me is always a case of Bibles. I have had family members just send me a case or two because they felt like it. Always appreciated. I also use the Pocket Testament League Gospels of John, I sign up and I can get up to 30 a month (assuming I get a sponsor). They are lovely books, probably the prettiest thing I hand out.

But, like I said, I'm BUYING them. [Where is my sausage? There it is... eating breakfast and typing] I don't mind. God is using me, this is what He wants me to do.

How can I say no to someone who asks for a Bible for his daughter? Or a young mother who wants a couple for the kids? How can I NOT stand out on the corner with my FREE BIBLES sign?

They're free to YOU, but I'm paying for them. I'm happy to do so.

I would never say this directly to a person who wanted to hand out Bibles; but I would ask them to spend some serious time in Bible Study and prayer. Are they prepared for demonic attacks? [wait 'till I tell you about what happened this weekend!] Are they prepared to fight in God's army? Are they prepared to stay home if that's what God wants them to do? 99% of this is obedience to God; and the remaining 1% is "I don't care what people think or say".

What I wouldn't say: You can't afford to spend $10 for God? Really? Let's look at your budget; how much is going to snack foods? I know I could spend a lot more money on God if I could kick the Diet Dr Pepper habit. What about the coffee shop? One of those breve extra whip things could buy at least a couple of Bibles. Maybe get black coffee instead? How about adjusting the thermostat and saving some money on the electric? Ron and I don't eat out much, and when we do it's a value meal date. I'm fine with that. I know what we do is important.

Good programs exist. Good programs exist for people who don't know what they'll be eating tomorrow, and want to hand out material. World Missionary Press comes to mind. Also Biblica. I can't afford their Bibles but they do a decent job of handing them out. The Gideons, other programs like that... but they have their OWN distributors.

God needs me working as a freelance Gospel Distributor. I am not dependent on any agency (just the inventory at the bookstores) for my material. I can go where I need to and hand out what's needed, as needed. That's what God wants for me.

But don't kid yourself. Every Bible I hand out I paid for.

No comments: