Sunday, August 22, 2010

Biggest Bible Handout

Wow, I had a very busy weekend.

I had considered possibly doing a big Bible handout; thought it might be a good idea. Sales Tax weekend, everything is essentially 10% off. A lot of stores do more business than Black Friday.

I got a coupon for 20% off at the Christian bookstore. I went and picked up about 35 Bibles. As I paid, they gave me a huge sack of beautiful Bibles. Awesome, and confirmation to do it.

I went on about my business, forget what I did now - OH! I met Ron at a fried chicken place, and he gave me a ride home. I got him some little items I picked up at the Dollar Store.

The next morning was supposed to be weight day, but I had a strong feeling I should wait. Wait on the weights that is. [groan] So I got up, took my shower, added yet MORE Bibles to the stash in my cart, and rolled off down to the corner. The median strip, actually.

It was wild. I handed out over 100 Bibles, Testaments, and Scripture booklets. People were shouting for Bibles. I kept saying "No, ma'am I don't take donations!" and a lot of "I'll be praying for you!"

My favorites were the obvious gang member, and the parents asking for Bibles for their kids. I handed it all out in about an hour.

As I was running up and down the median (about 150 feet long, and several feet wide), carrying a VERY heavy sack of Bibles on my arm and brandishing my 2x3 foot sign at passing cars, it dawned on me that I had done a good thing skipping that workout! Cardio AND weights! Whew!

It was HOT and muggy! I drank 2 liters of diet pop just during the handout, which took about an hour. Here are some photos:
August 2010

The only "bad" thing about it, and I am certain God used this deliberately: A little boy saw my sign. He was in the backseat of the car. Now, I will wave my sign and point at it. Pause beside a car. Either they ignore me, or look at me. If they look at me, they might wave me off, or do a hand signal that I know translates to "I have a Bible already, but thank you!" Some point at me "Hey, Harry, lookit that!" Some grin at me, "Awww." Some roll down a window!

Some dig into a wallet as I point at the "Free", then put it up and roll down the window. I ask "How many?", or, if God laid it on me to give a few, I will just hand in a small stack. Then I thank them, tell them I'm praying for them, and walk off.

In this case, the little boy (about 8) desperately wanted a Bible, I could see him pointing and yelling. His mother refused to roll the window down and I had to look at the little sad face as she drove away. God made it clear: Children are as hungry, as adults, for God.

So, on Halloween I will be handing out a New Testament, in a bag of candy, to every child of literate age. I think it'll be fun.

After an hour, I was out! I rolled my now-empty cart, with empty tote bag (I held the sign in my left hand, the tote bag full of Bibles on my left arm, another tote bag with Spanish materials on my left shoulder, right hand gives the Bibles) off to the gas station. Handed out a couple more, but these had candy. Got a bucket of iced tea, some pop, and off to the bookstore.

It was pretty busy, so I just gave the bare details of the handout, then thanked them. Got a few pictures taken. Got some really wierd looks from customers gaping at my sign. Bought some more Bibles.

Then I went off to Starbucks. Had a nice little time, then hit a grocery store on my way back.

Ron wanted spicy pork rinds. Pretty awful if I spent all my energy serving others, with none left for him!

TODAY, I did my workout, a modified one because my back was pretty sore. That cart must have weighed at least 60 pounds before I started the handout!

No comments: