Saturday, August 28, 2010

So, what do I want to do with my life?

I have an anxious housecat stalking around the house. The neighbor's dog got out and is waiting on the porch for her buddy, Ron. Ron loves dogs and has had some happy sessions with her. She likes to sit in his lap while he pets her, on the porch, licking his face. I let him know, but he groaned and rolled over in bed.

If our neighbor has to have a dog, a medium-sized lump of sugar is a good one. She is very gentle and sweet, it's easy to see why they got her. I used to live in some awful areas that had vicious loose animals. I used to go jogging up and down our block, in the middle of the day, with a 2-foot stun gun baton.

I talk a lot about my life; where I've been, where I am. I thought it might be interesting to talk about where I hope to go.

Some things I hope to do with my life:
1. Continue to grow in my faith walk. Be an example to others.
2. Support and encourage other people with bipolar disorder, and be a good "big sister". Help and encourage others.
3. Support and encourage other caregivers, particularly long-term ones (like wives). We don't get a lot of credit in the long run and it can be very exhausting. I would love to help others.
4. Continue to help Ron run our business; providing excellent snack products and some good healthy choices. Build great relationships with our customers.
5. Help Ron with whatever he needs, as he helps me with my needs. We are very complementary in that regard. He is very good at the managing and organizing stuff - where I'm not.
6. Be a good, supportive family member. I heard a great quote once "Steps are for ladders". And what the heck is a half-sister? I have two sisters and three brothers. Some of them have the same DNA as I; others don't. But in the long run it doesn't matter. Love makes a family and I know they've got my back. I would like for them to feel they can call or email me; and walk away feeling better. I have not been easy to love (!), but they have always been there for me.
- See, this is the kind of stuff I hope they DO read, and one reason I am pretty transparent on the internet. About the only thing I haven't done here is post our business name, the exact hours I work, or my last name. I don't care who knows the rest. I hope they do know this. -
7. Continue to do whatever God sends my way; whether it's handing out candy, Bibles on the corner, or quietly listening while someone talks to me. I hope I remain useful and productive for His work.
8. Somewhere in there, take care of myself the way God wants me to; charging myself up with various fun activities, knitting while watching my monster movie, God Time, gardening, working out, etc. Staying active and busy so my thoughts don't eat me alive, while taking plenty of "down time" to ensure I am fresh and useful. I really need to work on this; but I am happy to announce I paid for some great tunes yesterday. I particularly like the "Theocracy" gospel metal. Little things like that mean a lot; if I remember to care for myself the way I would someone else.
9. Be an enjoyable person. I know I can be off-topic. I can say embarrassing things. I can go off on conversational tangets and baffle people. I talk too much, and interrupt. I want to work on being a positive person, not a negative one. I want to have enjoyable conversation and brighten people's days. Some of that, I can do. The rest we'll put in the FAS file. It's very common for us to mangle social interactions. I am really working on not saying ANYTHING negative. I have a tendency to do that now.

That's about it. I used to have a long list of things I'd like to do, but I don't think that really matters now. I just want to help people, and please God.

Now, I need to figure out what I'm doing "Today". I already slept late. I licked the "slept late" headache. After my shower, God time, and breakfast I have no idea what I'll do.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Heather you have had quite a time of it this week! Oh my goodness!

so just a short note to say ..you are an inspiration ..you know I love reading your blog ..

and just keep on keeping on dear girl!