Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Best Baker Ever

Torbie has a new favorite spot: my Bible box. 

It's a collapsible box I use for storing handout Bibles.  I have Bibles, a tote bag, and a rolled up "Free Bibles" sign, in the box.  And a cat. 

She tucks herself in quite neatly, and isn't hurting anything, so why not? 

I had today off, mostly.  We had to file the report. 

I got up around 7.  It's a good thing, the neighbor kids were extra loud this morning, screaming and such, at 6:30 in the morning.  I guess they're used to us leaving before they do and this is the "new normal". 

I don't know.  I was just glad I was already awake. 

I took my shower and did my God Time, my faithful Torbie lying in my lap, purring for treats.  I doled out a few as I did my study/prayer, but not too many because this brand can make her vomit. 

After that, I decided to watch Supernatural.  Imagine my annoyance when they had Charmed instead.  I hate charmed.  It's a soap opera with witches.  Not even very good acting, sets, or special effects.  I turned it off. 

I decided to make my bread.  I found the recipe in an old Fannie Farmer cookbook (the one published in the late 80's). 

4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups buttermilk
1.5 t salt
1 t baking soda

Combine dry ingredients. Add buttermilk and mix until moist. Turn out and knead for 30 seconds. It will be rough, but stick together. Form into a round and put on a cookie sheet. Cut an X on top with a knife. Bake at 375 (preheated of course) for 50 minutes.

It was a rough looking country style loaf, but that's what I wanted.  I could even eat some leftover dough I found, because it has just the 4 things.

The dough was good.  The bread, even better.  I pinched off a rough spot and sampled it, then broke off another bit and gave that to Ron.  Ron has, as of this moment, eaten a couple pieces of bread, loving it.

It is very good.  It's very simple, too.

I did the dishes.  I'd cleaned the oven prior to baking the bread.

Supernatural finally came on.  I missed the "killing Leviathan" episodes AGAIN.   I know how they do it, I just keep missing the actual episodes.  I know what happens afterward because I have seen those episodes.

I watched that.  I decided to take a nap.  It was supposed to rain today so I thought that would be nice.
However, the noisy children neighbors had a noisy yard crew.  I'm a little leery, because usually, for them, yard care = party.  However, it is raining now, and they all have to get up at 5 AM tomorrow.

I got up and did some accounting stuff with Ron.  We filed the report, and I helped him roll some change.  That took a while.  We took a break and ate some more bread.  Ron made delighted yum yum noises, which made me feel like The Best Baker Ever. 

I tried to take another nap, I kept hearing the garbage truck but I had a better nap experience.  I got up over an hour later.

Generally, when depressed, I want to curl up in a ball and hibernate.  I think that's why God puts noisy things around me, sometimes.

I watched a little TV, got online.  Ron is having us go to work later tomorrow so hopefully I will get a really good night of sleep.  


No comments: