Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Good trips and good tips

I was depressed this morning, but I got manic this afternoon. 

It's a good thing.  I had a busy day.  We went to work, stocked, made sure everything is good.  I did need to do more K-cups and sandwiches.  It would be *very bad* if they found an empty food machine during severe weather. 

We got that all done, snacks and soda didn't need much (we just went in yesterday) and based on traffic I felt totally fine taking tomorrow off (we work Saturday and have a weekday off, but never 2 days in a row). 

Next stop, the bank.  The bank debited Ron's account for $10.69, saying his change deposit total was inaccurate.  How, Ron asked, can it be 69 cents short when it was only quarters?  No one had an answer for that.  Eventually, the bank gave him back his money.  They could tell I was *not happy* the guy on the phone accused me of stealing the money. 

My bank has never done that - when I got ripped off they told me, and they didn't allow it.  They got me my money back, or refused charges, and acted to protect me.  Even when I lost my debit card they were incredibly nice about it, not blaming me or treating me as if I were stupid (I sure felt it).  I made sure I let Ron's bank know I wanted him to go to mine. 

They took it seriously. 

In the meantime, I feel my bank has my back. 

We went home.  Ron took a nap, I went to vote, which involved a walk, about a mile.  That's a lot better than 2008 when I had to walk 5 miles because I had the wrong information on the polling place. 

This time was fine.  I had a good walk.  I wanted to stop and look at the bayou but I'd had too much caffeine and got a little anxious.  The bayou was a very pretty blue green color. 

I walked in and it was pretty quiet.  I got a piece of candy from the bowl (a fun size Skittles), and went off to cast my ballot.  I don't vote a straight ticket, but I am very conservative. 

I was still unhappy with the County Commissioner, so I voted for his Democratic opponent instead.  I didn't have any problems with the machine changing my vote (which I've heard has happened) - probably because I voted on each issue, not a straight ticket. 

Finally finished, I headed off to the bus stop.  I had mentioned I might go to the grocery store. 

I told Ron, I can go to the Krogers, and get you some chicken (even though I don't like Krogers), or I can go to the Foodtown (I think they treat the employees a lot better, and they have some unique products).  Ron told me to just have fun, he had plenty of food. 

So, I went to the Food Town.  I found fun stuff like blue tortilla flour, whole wheat flour (I plan to do some baking), yeast (in case I want to make a yeast bread), milk, vegetable oil, a gallon of milk, some buttermilk, etc.  I got a lot of stuff and only spent $40. 

I had way too much weight (I'd bought some regular masa flour in addition to the blue flour, and the 5 pounds of wheat flour, plus the gallon of milk, etc.) for the bus. 

I was pretty worried about calling a cab, because the cab drivers say they hate grocery store trips "Too short, they have tons of stuff... they want me to put it in the trunk".  I bit my lip and had Ron call, anyway. 

The sky was very ominous (still no rain at 7 PM).  I worried severe weather might delay my ride even further. 

Ron called someone he knew at the cab company and I had a ride in less than 10 minutes.  My frozen onions didn't even thaw!  Wow!  A good trip like that is a true gift.  I had a short trip, too, less than $10, but the cab driver (who didn't know us) treated me like a VIP.  Of course I put away all the groceries, gave her some candy, and tipped her generously.  I also told her I'd be praying for "Good trips and good tips".  She really liked that. 

I could not have lugged all that home on the bus.  It was a really lovely trip. 

Tomorrow I plan to make a soda bread - it has 4 ingredients: whole wheat flour, baking soda, buttermilk, and a pinch of salt.  It seems pretty easy.  I used to make complicated yeast breads, when manic, so I think I can manage this.

I bet you didn't know that.

I also might make a batch of curried lentils.  I may or may not throw in some mixed veggies to vary it.  They're easy, cheap, and filling.  Ron keeps saying he wants to eat "more fiber" so this is a way to do it.

I will make the bread.  If it's good I'll put up the recipe.  


No comments: