Thursday, January 3, 2008

The perfect snack

I told Ron I wanted to take a trip to Whole Foods today, and Ron made it happen. I hate asking him to come with me because it's a long ride, it's never a straight trip, and odds are high we'll end up like sardines in the back of a minivan. It's a lot to ask, but Ron said he'd like some Cajun Mix.

I had a few things on my list. Organic soy stuff (flour, soy grits, and beans); wheat germ, organic molasses, the usual "health nut" goodies. Whole Foods doesn't have soy grits. They don't have wheat germ (in the bulk bins), and they don't have organic molasses. I was pretty disappointed. I'd budgeted $40 for the trip and I only spent $30. I got some lentils, soy beans, organic soy flour, and the no-aluminum baking powder. My brain suffers enough, it doesn't need aluminum poisoning on top of everything else (typed as I'm drinking out of an aluminum soda can).

I'm not too happy, then Ron tells me Metrolift is going to be half an hour late. "You should get yourself some kind of dry mix." He said as he muched on his Cajun mix/rice cracker mix (he likes to combine the two). I figured, it's not a bad idea, and went back into the store. I passed the soy nuts. Salted. Organic. Hm.

I've been seeking the perfect snack for a while. It should be portable, non-perishable, high-protein, neat, nutritious, sugar-chocolate-nut free and tasty. Without MSG. Good luck, huh? Ha!

I loaded up on a couple of pounds. The last time I tried them, I wasn't impressed, but back then I could eat nuts, chocolate, and MSG. My choices are somewhat limited these days. I also got some carob powder. When I'm having fits, wanting chocolate, I can whip something up with the powder. It doesn't taste like chocolate but they're related. I like the flavor.

I paid up and went outside to wait with Ron. I opened up my bag. I ate a few soy nuts. "Hey, these are good." I got a handful. I munched happily until Metrolift arrived. When we got home, I put some in a plastic bowl with a screw-on lid. Now they're completely portable. They won't come "open" in transit, they'll keep for months, although I doubt they'll live that long. I found them very tasty.

Since Whole Foods didn't have some of the items I was looking for, I decided to get the rest of my items online. I found great stuff at excellent prices, but $20 shipping for $12 worth of merchandise seemed like a really BAD deal. I wanted to get "something" healthy and fun, so just for fun I froogled "soy nuts".

I found http://www.soynuts.com Yummy, delicious flavors for only $4 a pound! Reasonable shipping! Ron liked my plain, salted soy nuts so I ordered him some fun stuff like BBQ and Jalapeno-cheddar. It will keep him out of my Ranch and Garlic/onion. Mmmm. It'll be so nice to have a healthy thing like soynuts in my backpack. I tend to have hypoglycemia from the Risperdal (which, curses, has gone up to $140 a month with no generic in sight), so it's a good idea to have a high-protein snack in my bag. When I get wobbly, I can take them out and munch. They are very tidy eating, and I always have a soda so I won't get thirsty.

Found: the perfect snack.

No comments: