Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The 18 hour day

Things I'll do and things I won't. I wanted 7 top turnip seeds and a soil thermometer. I found one page, they had both! I was thrilled until I started the checkout process. They wanted $14 shipping. For a pen-sized soil thermometer and a packet of seeds. Forget it.

Then I found these guys: http://www.stonebrothers.com/. Not only did they have the 7 top turnip greens and my thermometer, they had some really interesting varietal seeds, EASY interface, and fun shopping experience. Needless to say, I got more than just the one packet of seeds. After I subtract the $20 "Ooops" money, I still have $50 in my online account. That means I get to spend $25 a week. I had a very happy shopping experience and when I went to checkout, $8 shipping, BUT it's UPS, which I like better. I know, egg me, I am a hypocrite. I was delighted to give them $21 of this week's internet money. I'll let you know when the goodies arrive and how things turn out.

So, Heather, how was your day? Sorry, I just finished with Stone Brothers and I'm all aglow with the joy of finding an interesting new seedsman.

My day started at 3 AM. Yeah. We had 4 hours at work and we used every minute. Things were reasonably brisk but not scary busy. While I was waiting on the trainees to finish buying their coffee from the coffee vending machine, one of the women told me not to worry, it's good coffee. I smiled and told her my husband made sure of that.

After work, we had some business at the bank. Ron wanted to go to the mall first and I was dealt a blow. "My" dollar store, which I love, is closed as of today. I got in at the last minute to buy 4-for-$1 goodies. I felt like a crow picking at carrion. I did get some garden labels and some instant cold packs, the kind you shake and use. If they work as well as my hot packs I'm going to love them come summer. I also got some plant labels and popsicle sticks. Those popsicle sticks are amazingly useful for marking where I've planted seeds, or boundaries on the various garden areas. I got the uncolored kind because I get a little twitchy over the colored ones leaching. 200 ought to hold me for a while. I bought some individually wrapped chewing gum that turned out to be as hard as a rock. While I was throwing it away, another patron at the mall asked if he could have them. I said, sure, don't break a tooth, these things are hard as a rock!

About this time Chuck called. We're dropping off my Metrolift papers tomorrow. Pray for me. It would be seriously awesome if I could get my own service. Ron is very kind, but sometimes we'd like to do different things.

Speaking of which, we came home after the mall and bank. I was beat. My hair was gross. But we had a trip to go to the Home Depot. I was happy to see I got my package from Bountiful Gardens.

The book (How to grow more vegetables...) was very interesting. I don't regret spending the money on it. It had a lot of philosphy. I'm an X-generation child. We were the literal children of the Hippies. I learned a LOT about ecology, stewardship, and conservation. At any rate, I'm doing everything right, and the soil amendment information was worth the price of the book right there. It reminded me a lot of Organic Soil Management, which I keep by my bed.

I guess I was hoping for more of an encyclopedia-type book on growing vegetables. I understand "Feed the soil, not the plant" but I'd like to know how much greensand my tomatoes would like. My Texas Vegetable book is probably my most favorite, followed by my Houston Garden books' chapter on Vegetables. Amusingly, neither book really covers the organic approach! Dr. Cotner (Texas Vegetable) speaks a lot on "Barnyard Manure" as applies to the various crops, but that's it. My Organic Gardening Encyclopedia has a little on everything. It's a good book. I just want to breed "Texas Vegetables" to "Organic Encyclopedia" and read the offspring voraciously. I love how "Texas Vegetables" has a chapter with lots of photos for EVERY different vegetable. It's my favorite.

Bubba-cat just banged on my window, so I let him in. Even when I know he's out there, it always scares the crap out of me when the black cat jumps out of the black night onto the windowsill. I always jump. Then I pet him and tell him "You like scaring Mommy, don't you?" as he purrs. He's crunching away at the food bowl.

I figured out which cat is using my garden beds for a urinal. Frosty came in with black dust on his hind legs. I'm using black mulch to attract the heat to my garden soil (4 months from now I'll be covering what's left of the mulch with light-colored pine barks) so it'll warm up. Even with cold soil, I got a good stand of purple beans in '06. I ordered more seeds, which arrived yesterday "Royalty Purple Pod bush bean" if you are curious.

Speaking of seeds, I saw the most beautiful display when we went to Home Depot today. I brought my 18-gallon red plastic box (with lid) and a contractor garbage bag (turns out I didn't need the bag). I left Ron with the box and did my shopping. 50 pounds of play sand. I'm strong! It was easy to manipulate! I put it in my cart and went to go look at the garden center. No good edging (weed barrier 4 foot lengths, about 6 inches deep). Darn it. I got the FS-25 starters I need for snack machine #1. I told Ron I eat enough of (business name)'s chips and drink enough of its' soda that I don't mind coughing up $3 and change.

Then I saw it. A beautiful display, courtesy of Ferry-Morse. They had white bush scallop squash (it seems like everyone likes it as much as the squash bugs and I did), and they had Lemon Cucumbers. I adore Lemon Cucumbers. I'm growing them every year, no questions. They take 2 extra weeks to mature but they're delicious. They're also a manageble "eating out of hand" size as well. Soybeans! Innoculant! If I hadn't already bought mine from Shumway I'd have bought some. I did get the soybeans. I love eating them. Square peat pots! Now I can start my NZ spinach! I was a happy camper and I spent less than $20.

When our ride arrived, we realized it was a real cab, hired by Metrolift. He still got his driver candy and I did all the heavy lifting of the box. I also gave him a cash tip because he didn't have to take the trip, if I'd hired him I'd give him a tip (Metro doesn't), and it was my trip anyway. It was a great ride home.

When we got home I got the cart and went straight out back to dump that sand. I'm glad I'm only mentally defective ;-P because it was pretty challenging. I was amazed at how much sand was eaten by the stump-hole. It took at least 3/4 of a bag. I do have a little left if I want to do a little herb garden. I stored the half-used bag of composted steer manure, along with the sand, in a large plastic storage box I used for compost originally (all the compost is now on the garden beds). Now I don't have to worry about breaking my ankle in the hole and hopefully the cats will use that area for their urinal.

Hey, a girl can dream. Off to take my anti-psychotics and bed.

No comments: