Friday, January 25, 2008

Some observations on Lithium

I mentioned to Ron recently that my stomach's been a lot happier since I started eating soynuts. I love to snack on soynuts, and probably eat about 1/3 cup a day. I can't eat regular nuts but I love my soynuts. Maybe it's the protein (they are high-protein), or maybe some unidentified nutrient, but I haven't had to take my Pepto once since my soynuts arrived.

Normally I deal with a fairly acid stomach, nausea, and no appetite. It's a nice change to just be able to enjoy my food without having to reach for the Pepto.

Ron told me I should post this, and it got me thinking about all the questions I had when I started my Lithium. I take four tablets a day, extended release 300 mg.

I have a funny taste in my mouth, will it ever go away?
When I first started the Lithium, and when I increased my dosage, I noticed a horrible zinc-lozenge taste in my mouth. It's a side effect. By the time I'd bought a good assortment of breath mints, it had faded. Very rarely it'll come back but it went away for me.

I'm thirsty all the time!
See above, it got a lot better after a few days. I'm a mouth-breather so I've always got a dry mouth, but I didn't notice it after a few days to weeks. Oasis mouthwash is very helpful too. I use that at night, when my dry mouth is the worst.

It smells awful when I urinate!
I never saw that side effect anywhere but it's true. My urine smells ghastly! It smells like I'm already dead! I just put up with it. You can always flush quickly. If you have any burning, discharge, or whatever see your doctor but don't worry about it otherwise.

I feel like a zombie
The first couple days on my pills, I scared the crap out of my husband. I was taking Lithobid. It really made me a zombie. Ask your doctor if you can change formulations - I do great on generic lithium carbonate ER, on twice the "zombie" dosage of Lithobid. Give it a couple weeks and see how you feel. I only get foggy in the morning, and if I miss my nap (but I have other things and not just bipolar). Remember that 11% of people with this illness kill themselves. Some cancers only kill a couple people out of every hundred. Ask yourself this: Would I put up with this side effect if I had cancer? I know I would. At least Lithium doesn't make you bald!

I feel sick to my stomach all the time
I take my Lithium with a big meal. I can't emphasize a big meal is very important. When I've taken it with just a little fruit cocktail, a salad, or a half cup of leftovers, I will get stomach pains, nausea, and burning. It's the nature of the beast, Lithium is really tough on your stomach. Some things that help me: Eating a high-protein diet, taking ginger root, Pepto-bismol (the chewables are great when I'm traveling), and sometimes a cup of Licorice spice tea (licorice root - NOT the black licorice flavor, is excellent for your stomach. It's sweet and kind of bland). I don't ever lie down just after I eat and I try to have several smaller meals thoughout the day. Be careful when taking heartburn medications, some of them will interact with the Lithium.

Can I drink?
You could, in small amounts, if you clear it with your doctor. Personally, it's been my observation that if someone drinks, the medication won't work, but when they stop drinking the pills work. I would say don't drink, and if you can't face the thought of life without alcohol then you need to get to AA. It's not worth it.

After I took my Lithium, I felt high. Is something wrong?
No, it's a side effect. I like it in small doses. I think of it as God's little bonus to me for not drinking. My husband finds it very cute. It tends to come and go (for me). Enjoy the ride, and if you're driving, pull over.

I hope this helps! Hugs to you if you're dealing with this illness (as a patient or as a loved one). It is worth every side effect to finally feel like I can depend on my brain. To know that I'm reliable for a change, that every day is going to be predictable and peaceful.

You can't bottle that. Well, you can. Slap a label on it that says "Lithum Carbonate 300 mg ER" and send it to me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Jason Gorman and I am 45 years old. My wife was taking 1200mg of Lithium Carbonate daily prescribed by the doctor for over two years. During this time no lab work was ever ordered. It built up in her system over a period of time. She was taken to the ER where she almost died. Her pulse was down to 31 and her blood pressure as low as 43 over 17. She under went kidney dialysis continuously for over 30 hours in ICU. She spent a total of 5 days in the hospital. I strongly recommend against taking Lithium. At least have periodic Lab Work done. Also if you do take this medication look up the side effects on the internet.

My wife has experienced some of these side effects-
Dizziness, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Confusion, Tremors, Muscle Weakness, Loss of Bladder Control, Inability to talk

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Jason Gorman