Monday, January 28, 2008

"Bipolar isn't a real illness"

It was an interesting morning. First, though, I have to tell you:
I DUG UP THE PEAR TREE STUMP! I am so thrilled. I was so happy I got the thing out of the ground, I almost brought it in the house to show Ron. I did slice my finger a little bit (probable scar, but doesn't need stitches) while sawing through the roots, but it was worth it! I mulched and amended all my garden beds except for bed 1. I don't want to get it just yet anyway, because I need to fill in the crater left by the stump removal (it looks like a fantastic way to break an ankle, leg, or both). I also need to wait for the soil to dry, the stuff around the pear tree was just miserable slock. It reminded me of quicksand. I plan to double dig the part I'm extending on bed 1, and I need to get some better edging. I had a great day and I'm so glad I did it!

I also got my seed order from Bountiful gardens (http://www.bountifulgardens.org). The Malabar spinach included BOTH types, the red and the green. Awesome. I got a "Kid's pack" with a little bit of all the leftovers from the year before. I can grow lentils, favas, and an appaloosa bean. That's not even counting all the corn and marigolds. I'm very happy I already placed another order with them. The "Beet Mix" will be a lot of fun for the people who eat the beets (I plan to try a few baby beets, if I don't like them they all will find a good home with at least 2 postal workers I've recruited). I'm happy.

I'm going to have a $2 overdraft until tomorrow, when I get paid. BAD Heather! I will keep an extra $20 in the account so it doesn't happen again.

Something amazing happened today. Ron just called me about it, in fact. Someone, a regular at his Starbucks, bought him a $50 gift card. He left and had the barista give it to Ron. At first, Ron thought she was teasing him. I am so happy for him. He deserves to be spoiled and I'm glad other people see the good in him, too. He was so touched and thrilled. I am delighted that whoever did this will get shown how much joy they brought Ron and I by this gesture. He's a good man.

This morning I was definitely a glue-brain. Why, I wondered. I'm not useful like this. Then Ron dropped a bottle of water on the floor and needed help finding it. He didn't have enough time to "Do" soda machine #1, so I got the cases and stocked it myself. Oh, and he needed quarters, could I run and sort them for him? I did it all in about half an hour, I'm useful alright. Ron made sure I knew how much he appreciated my hard work. He is an awesome boss. I'm happy.

We had a scenic-route trip with a driver we haven't seen in a while. He's a really nice guy. I hadn't seen him since my diagnosis so I told him about it. He was cool. When I tell people about my illness, most of them either get really quiet, or they are happy I've got a routine that works. One client got off and other one boarded. I was getting lightheaded and I needed to eat. I got permission from the driver and started eating my soynuts. I had mentioned that "My medication can cause low blood sugar". The other client wanted to know what medication. I told her and told her what it's for.

"Oh, bipolar isn't a real illness." She said. She continued in this vein. I didn't need medication because bipolar was "A Made Up Illness" a plot by the pharmaceutical company to get me on their dole. The medication I was taking would kill me faster. I had a character weakness, she implied, as she told me I needed to have more faith in God. Fasting and prayer, at least a week-long-fast, would cure any "problems in my head". I had to give it to God so He could use it for his glory.

She spoke quite rapidly, (check) without stopping for breath, it seemed (check). She was very agitated, and kept moving around (check). She jumped from one subject to another and it didn't always make sense (check). She spoke of how she used to run all over the streets, staying up for days at a time (check), sleeping around (check), spending all her money in one day (check), and saying anything to anyone (check). Fighting, even (check). She had the very "made-up-illness" she was denouncing.

She continued to harp on the subject until got to our destination. With my medication, I didn't see the need to argue with her. Someone as deluded and ignorant as she was won't change her mind due to anything I say. I'm glad I have a strong mind, with no desire to follow her "advice". I would probably be dead in 2 months if I did. If she's happy starving herself, that's her business. I know God's will for me: Take my medication, live responsibly, educate as needed, be a good helpmeet and share God's love with everyone I meet. I don't always do it perfectly (especially the last), but God knows my heart.

Bipolar isn't a real illness. Yeah. Right. People like that are dangerous. I'm glad I'm out there telling the truth about my illness. You can't pay me to shut up.