Thursday, January 17, 2008

Beet People

I've been running a bit manic the last couple days; I told Ron I would try an experiment. I took an extra lithium last night (1 at dinner, 1 at bedtime, I think my levels get too low otherwise). I felt great and I was less manic today. That means I was about a 2 on 1-10 as opposed to a three. Not bad, but a little aggravating. I feel like someone has given me "Super energy vitamins" and "Talkalot" pills. Not bad, considering other manias I have known.

So today I was chatty with anyone who'd talk to me. We have a lot of nice people at work. Remember the microwave sagas? The Post Office went ahead and BOUGHT 6 microwaves, commercial microwaves, for our area, and at least another dozen for the other vendor. Wooow! That was a very nice surprise.

If we end up going with Chuck to get my soil amendments, I'll have had a lot of preperatory lifting. I moved 48 cases of Coke. I stacked 24 of them. I put away our old microwaves (heavy!), with a little help.

So, I've burned off a fair amount of energy on the sodas. If I'm manic, I love putting sodas away. It helps me focus. I've stocked my machines.

I'm chatting with Zelda and I mention my garden, and the radishes. People who love radishes are always surprised I want to give them away. I arranged to give her some radishes when they're ready. I've ordered a "radish mixture" with all types of radishes. God only knows what I'll grow. They'll be large and flavorful, that's for sure. They are great companion plants. So, I've got 3 people for radishes. I mentioned to Zelda that I'd love to grow beets (why? I don't know, but I've wanted to for years). She and her husband love beets. Another postal worker I'm friendly with walked by and said he loved beets too. Good, good, good. I thought it was sad when Zelda offered to pay me. I don't want money. It makes me happy to grow them, you can only top that by going "Oh, how tasty! The ___ you gave me yesterday made a delicious dinner!" Ha, I'll tell her "Lie and tell me they were good".

So Yay! I have "Beet People" who will take the beets. I cannot STAND beets. UGH. But I'd love to grow them. I got some "Beet Mix" from Bountiful Gardens. I like growing an assortment of root veggies.

Tonight, if things work out, I'll be getting soil amendments with Chuck. Oh, I'm so excited.

I went to Walmart today to see if they had the "Landscaper Mix" yet. They don't. If it works out, I'll go to Home Depot tonight. While I was at Wal-mart, I bought 2 types of Corn: Early and Often (64 days) and Early Sunglow (63 days). I also got some Kentucky Wonder beans. I'll grow them up the corn. I plan to plant a block "Square Foot Garden" style, spacing 1 foot apart. Total of 16 plants in a 4x4 foot block. I've got a hankering to grow corn this year. I'm well aware that the organic gardener is going to deal with tagalong corn borers. You shuck the corn, go eeew, pull out the bug, and cook the ear of corn. I don't want to dust the corn ear with pesticide every 3 days up to harvest, like one book advises. Yuck. I'd rather face a corn ear borer.

That's one reason I'm getting the early corn. It fares a lot better when it comes to the bugs. At any rate, it'll be a fun adventure.

I found some red-edged "Rosalita" romaine lettuce. It looks tasty. I want a variety of things, including various colored romaine lettuces. I also plan to get some "Outredgeous" - the whole plant is bright red, when I get paid.

Oh, and giant, purple, radishes, ready in a month after sowing. I love purple, and they'll be fun to show off as I'm giving them away.

I'm glad I bought my onion transplants when I did. The ones at the store are looking miserable.

No comments: